+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need some advise on suckers

Default Need some advise on suckers

First I will say that I am a newbie to the Sugarbush. I was just out there and noticed a lot of my maple trees have suckers growing from the base. A lot of them are three or 4 inches in diameter. Just wonder if they should be taken out or left? I have both soft and hard maple and most of these are on my soft Naples.

I usually remove them but not always. If the larger tree has any defects I sometimes will leave one sucker. However I have not yet had to remove the main tree to see if that sucker does well or not.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Dave, I have a few of these in my expansion area this year as well. Did it matter when you cut the suckers? I decided to let them in place until after maple season so that the tree wouldn't push sap. I am located where the fall sap flow is going on so wouldn't that be just like a fall tapping? Or would it be more like tapping a sapling?
    Matt,
    Minehart Gap Maple

Minehart gap, I would not cut them now, they will weep sap. Cut them after season.

If you have many suckers then you must have a cut over area and they are from stumps or the tree has a lot of dead wood above. I do not see suckers from mature seedling growth much. If they are over 2-4" I'd leave them alone.

Thanks buckeye gold. It is an area that had grape Vines take out a couple tree tops. I cut all of the vines about 7 years age but must have missed that area. All red maples. All small 1/2" to 2" suckers. I'll cut them in June.
    Matt,
    Minehart Gap Maple

I never cut those I removed until after the season. They leak some but quit in a few days.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

If I have suckers that I'm going to remove and they are big enough I put a tap in and get what I can for sap out of them. I cut them and turn them into sugar wood after the season is over.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

I opened this thread thinking it was going to be about lollipops. lol Carry on...........
    Noel Good
    1998 to 2009: 15 taps on buckets, scavenged fire pit and pans
    2010: New 2x4 SS flat pan w/preheater
    2015: New to me Lapierre 18x60 raised flue, new shack, new everything!! 59 taps 23.75 gallons
    2016: 85 taps 19 gallons
    2017: Purchased 2.5 acres and tubed half with 3/16. 145 taps total 49.25 gallons
    2018: 200 taps (162 on 3/16ths 38 on buckets) New NextGen RO 63 gallons
    2019: 210 taps 73.5 gallons
    2023: 210 taps 89.75 gallons
    www.wnybass.com

+ Reply to Thread