+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2x2 build - Looking for fire door and stack transition plans/pictures/descriptions

Default 2x2 build - Looking for fire door and stack transition plans/pictures/descriptions

I was going to use a barrel to build an arch for my 2x2 pan, but after taking a cutoff wheel to my barrel I decided it would be waaay better to build from scratch - something like the davy jones build.

I think it is pretty straightforward except for two things:

1. DOOR
    I have a kit for turning a barrel into a wood stove - the one with the legs and door and stovepipe - but the door on that is a little small

So I have been thinking about different ideas for a door and was hoping to get some ideas from here.
    Can anyone point me to some resources for a decent design that is not too complicated for a newbie welder?

2. Base stack transition
    The kit comes with a 6" collar that screws onto a standard metal barrel - but if I am going to have a 24" wide flat plate instead that rounded collar is not going to lie flat and I'd rather not try to stuff the gaps with insulation.
    I looked at a few vendors for base stack things and they are $$$.
    I was wondering what other people may have used for a quick and easy 6" stove pipe mounting collar

The goal of this arch is to allow some friends to learn how to sugar and to use this as a finishing pan at the end of the season when we are out of sap and have too little to run in a 2x6.

Thanks
    tim

For the stack, cut a section from the end of the barrel you started on. Use about 8" of the end of the barrel and use a full half round. Then fill in the open side and weld it closed as your transition. At the top cut in the 6" stack part the kit supplies. On a 2x2 the door would work, but then find something bigger for the second season. It will work, but bigger would work better.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I have a barrel evaporator I'm selling with SS pan, everything included to take raw sap to syrup
    I built a bigger setup this year is why I'm selling, I'm in Ohio

Some pictures of a door I built for a neighbor. Not extremely complicated and good practice if you havent welded much. May be enough to give you a idea?

I think this was 1/8 thick steel.

Top was round only to match his opening.

Goal was a 2 inch thick insulated door to replace the cast one that got very hot.

Stuffed with the soft fire proof insulation and a piece of stainless screen bolted over the insulation.

Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

maplesyruparch - 7.jpgmaplesyruparch - 4.jpg

I built a door out of angle iron and firebrick. I used weld on hinges, and tabbed together a basic lock. pretty easy and survived its first season- although the center piece of metal did distort, but no loss of performance.

Pete

Thanks to all, and since I got so much out of reading posts like these, I will put up some pictures of my build in progress.
    This post shows my attempt to start with a barrel. I made a mistake cutting, which I could fix, however I discovered that bending the barrel sides was a PITA and it might be a lot simpler in the long run to just build from scratch...

Pics of the wasted barrel:

IMG_20181222_141430.jpgIMG_20181223_114343.jpg

And a pic of my horrible plasma cutting attemptIMG_20181223_150322.jpg

Default First step - build the top frame for the pan

Fitting up and welding the rectangle for the top rails.
    I had a choice between 1.25" and 2" angle already lying around. I overbuilt by a mile using 2"
    Next time I would use 1.25" or 1.5"

IMG_20181223_152832.jpgIMG_20181223_155328.jpg
    IMG_20181223_161709.jpg

I think you have the equipment and skills to build the arch and the door, if you want. All it takes is time and some money!
    Your frame looks real good. Nothing wrong with being a little heavy on this stuff. A roaring fire and a pan full of boil sap is not the time to be second guessing the strength of your rig.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Default It now has legs!

My welding is truly awful, but I am getting better.

Here it is with legs

IMG_20181230_223129.jpg

pan on top. It actually fits and is kinda level. AmazingIMG_20181230_223619.jpg

Looks like you got a great start. When I built mine it was a little intimidating at first, just focus on one thing at a time. Pretty soon you are done! Ugly welds can always be ground to look good after, just make sure they are strong. Keep up the good work.
    Jake
    smoky lake 2x6 drop flue SSR on homemade arch
    235 taps on 2 gast 1550s and lappiere releasers
    24x12 sugar house
    2019 Kubota L2501 work horse

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast