+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Food Grade Drum

Default Food Grade Drum

Hello,

I purchased a new Polyethylene drum for sap collection. It is food grade. Upon receiving this, there was a very strong plastic odor within the drum itself. I have used vinegar and baking soda, and it does help, but the strong odor always seems to come back.

Anyone else had similar problems? Is this something I should worry about?

You can leave it sit for a few days filled with water and baking soda and then rinse and let dry. It may just need to air out also, leave it open and use a fan or the wind move air through it.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 dropflu pans and hoods on homemade arch
    Smoky Lake 6 gallon water jacked bottler
    Concentric Exhaust
    250 Deer Run RO
    325 taps

are barrels that contained Table Salt considered food grade? Is there an issue using them for sap after rinsing?
    2024 - New Maine resident, 12X12 sugar shack under construction
    2019 - New 12X12 boiling pavilion
    2018 - New Mason 2X3 Hobby XL and homemade RO

Pretty sure that food grade refers to the plastic itself- meaning the type, such as polyethylene, and if virgin, and also if any dies are food grade safe. I have read that many new plastic buckets are all made by one company, and are actually food grade, but not certified to be food grade. I paid a bit more for white, new, food grade buckets.

On the other hand, I have a possible source for USED food grade barrels, that had citrus products previously. A great price, but I am concerned that I may not get the citrus odor, or worse, taste out.
    2014 Year 1, 1 large front yard shade tree with 3 taps - 3 quarts of the best syrup I ever had.
    2015 - Convince In-laws and Neighbors, bought F-150 and bricks. 20 taps, 4 gallons in pretty bottles.
    2016 -- More friends and neighbors, should add another 20 +, built temporary shelter as sugar shack. F150 traded for Ram 2500. Big Blue new barrels for 116 gal storage. 8 gallons Syrup.
    2017 - Mortared Brick Arch with serving pans, no make that an 18 x 48 CDL divided flat pan, 48 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by Helicopter Seeds View Post
    Pretty sure that food grade refers to the plastic itself- meaning the type, such as polyethylene, and if virgin, and also if any dies are food grade safe. I have read that many new plastic buckets are all made by one company, and are actually food grade, but not certified to be food grade. I paid a bit more for white, new, food grade buckets.

On the other hand, I have a possible source for USED food grade barrels, that had citrus products previously. A great price, but I am concerned that I may not get the citrus odor, or worse, taste out.
    You should be able to get a citrus smell out of a barrle by filling with clean and letting it sit overnight then rinse it. Might have to repeat that cycle once or twice. No rinse brewers sanitizer/cleaner can help speed the process of cleaning. Or a mild rinse with bleach if you have time to let the chlorine oxidize and evaporate.

Where in CT? I'm looking for a couple barrels and the on guy near me wants 40 and up for used barrles. Last year I got 3 clean no odor barrles for 35 bucks. That guy isn't advertising anymore.
    2017 25 taps on buckets got me hooked 1 gallon of sweet
    2018 51 taps on 3/16 tubing/ DIY oil tank evaporator 8.5gallons finished
    2019 60 taps 7 gallons finished ended season short
    2020 New 2x4 divided pan ready to get away from the headache that is steam table pans
    2021 off year due to pandemic and projects
    2022 back at it

Helicopterseeds, I used to work for Lowes part time after I retired. I called the company that made all their buckets and they told me all the buckets they made for Lowes was food safe. They said they only certified the white ones because they met all FDA requirements for putting the label on. The gray ones were made from the same materials, but may have not been through all the safe guards. So technically yes they are virgin material and safe, but they won't stand by that. I imagine a lot are like that. I'd feel ok using them, but they aren't officially food grade.

On barrels, I got some used for wine. One use and they smelled real fruity. I rinsed them good with a light bleach solution and used them. I never had any issues.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

would a barrel that formerly contained hard cider be usable for sap? I am looking for concentrate storage and I don't know if the alcohol residue will clean out with a bleach solution
    2024 - New Maine resident, 12X12 sugar shack under construction
    2019 - New 12X12 boiling pavilion
    2018 - New Mason 2X3 Hobby XL and homemade RO

+ Reply to Thread