+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air powered diaphragm pumps

Default Air powered diaphragm pumps

I know there are a few users of air powered diaphragm pumps to pump syrup (hot and cold) and I'm hoping someone can give me some direction. I have a couple of big orders coming up and I'll need to fill several drums. I have an air powered drum pump but I can't use that to fill the drums with hot syrup. I'd like to get an air powered diaphragm pump but I'm having a bit of sticker shock. I originally budgeted about $400 based on the prices I saw but after talking with someone I've learned that while the diaphragm can take temperatures up to 212 degrees, the polypropylene housing can only take temps up to 180 degrees. So now I'm thinking about $5-600.

Any suggestions on models to look for? Can I use an aluminum housing or does it need to be stainless?

My other problem is ordering time. I really need something for the week of the 23rd but most places say it will take 1-2 weeks to get my pump and that's cutting it really short. Do any places in the northeast have them in stock?

I appreciate any help!
    About 300 taps
    2'x6' air tight arch
    Semi complete 12'x24' sugarhouse in Somers, CT
    My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/CapturedNature
    My eBook: Making Maple Syrup in your Backyard

Have you tried Amazon or ebay? I use an aluminium bodied pump with Teflon diaphragms that I got on ebay a few years ago. There are probably others that will chime in with ideas.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

I use this one zoro.com/aro-double-diaphragm-pump-air-operated-200f-pd03p-als-kaa/i/G2537026/#specifications
    It is only rated for 200F, but I heat my syrup to 205-210, then draw it into my mixing tank, add DE and then mix and I then recirculate from the the mix thru the pump and back to the mix tank until it is fully blended. Then I open the valve to the filter bank and close the recirculate valve. I run it at up to 40 PSI on the filter pressure gauge. The pump can do far higher but my press suggests 40 PSI to keep from blowing papers.
    I have not tested the temp as the blended syrup reaches the pump with pressure on it but I'll bet it is down to 200 by then.
    That pump will move 5-7 gal/minute on recirculate thru about 15' of 5/8 ID hose. When filtering thru a 7" 5 bank it likely moves 3-4 gpm, I never checked it.
    I have used that pump for 4 years. It does very well pumping hot syrup but for moving cold syrup it gets real slow, likely about 1 gpm, my solution for that was I got a heater (barrel band type) and I put the band on anywhere from 4-15 hrs ahead. 4 hrs is OK, longer heats it enough that the pump then moves about 5-6 GPM. The heater has a t-stat, I have that set at 150F and with the band near the bottom of the standing barrel it sets up convective circulating in the barrel and the whole barrel is heated. My band heater I think is this one bascousa.com/silicone-rubber-steel-drum-heater-3-inch-wide-30-gallon.html. My barrels are 26.5 gal and to get good contact I have to tie it with wire, the spring that normally holds it leaves it too loose on a 26.5 gal bbl.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

This is the one that I have. https://www.zoro.com/warren-rupp-dou...k9/i/G2116721/ Works well. Was $400 when I got mine. I have seen aluminum ones for about the same money as now price.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

I second ebay. I found one missed labeled as aluminum but was actually stainless (could tell by the model number) great deal and most times things ship relatively quick.

Thanks guys for the responses. I appreciate the info. After some searching this morning I think I've determined that most places online just order from the manufacturer and then ship the customer, hence the two week lead time. I think eBay is the way to go and I found a few of these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-8-Kynar-A...A/381807172419

It's a little more than I wanted to spend but it has a maximum temperature rating of 200° and I can get it next week.

I'm going to keep looking but it's tricky. I can find aluminum ones but they have a polypropylene pump or I find a polypropylene pump with a membrane that is rating for a higher temp than the pump. It's tricky!
    About 300 taps
    2'x6' air tight arch

Not exactly sure what you mean by aluminum but poly pump Dave ? The wet end of the pump should be aluminum or stainless. Most of the poly wet ends that I’m familiar with are 150 or so degrees .
    If your looking on eBay for one ,I would recommend a Wilden 1/2” . Mine is stainless and does a good job of of pumping cold barrels as well as hot syrup thru a full bank Wes Fab press .
    You need to be careful not only for temp rating of diaphragms but also that they are food safe . Look up Wilden and you can get a chart with temp ratings and uses for all the different diaphragms .

I use my spare Wilden as a pump to fill the head tank .
    CDL 30x10
    Homebuild R.O.
    Wes Fab filter press full bank w/air pump
    ornery wife
    1 mean Stihl 460 woods ported chainsaw

Quote Originally Posted by wishlist View Post
    Not exactly sure what you mean by aluminum but poly pump Dave ? The wet end of the pump should be aluminum or stainless. Most of the poly wet ends that I’m familiar with are 150 or so degrees .
    If your looking on eBay for one ,I would recommend a Wilden 1/2” . Mine is stainless and does a good job of of pumping cold barrels as well as hot syrup thru a full bank Wes Fab press .
    You need to be careful not only for temp rating of diaphragms but also that they are food safe . Look up Wilden and you can get a chart with temp ratings and uses for all the different diaphragms .

I use my spare Wilden as a pump to fill the head tank .
    Thanks. The 150° limit of the polypropylene is what I was talking about. I'll look for a Wilden pump.

Anyone have input on this model?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-Al...p/323586546814
    About 300 taps
    2'x6' air tight arch

DaveB, I just purchased a aluminum 1/2" 10.5 gpm pump From MB maple in Attica NY. MB Maple is a new DSD STARS dealer. The pump was $385 and change. They had their open house last Saturday and I got an additional 10% off. I haven't received it yet but I couldn't believe the price . The ss model is around $750. Plan on putting on My filter press. Give Mandi a call @585-708-4393
    Sudzy's Purely Maple 2011 125 on vac 200 buckets 30x8 lapierre raised flue 12x20 shanty with 12x32 addition with 9x12 tank room tanks 500g 600g 300g
    [

url]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sudzys-Purely-Maple/366440096710159

https://youtu.be/cK7V6VG2B_k

Quote Originally Posted by jimsudz View Post
    DaveB, I just purchased a aluminum 1/2" 10.5 gpm pump From MB maple in Attica NY. MB Maple is a new DSD STARS dealer. The pump was $385 and change. They had their open house last Saturday and I got an additional 10% off. I haven't received it yet but I couldn't believe the price . The ss model is around $750. Plan on putting on My filter press. Give Mandi a call @585-708-4393
    Thanks for the tip! I gave them a call and they are having one shipped from the factory. I should have it by the end of this week so the timing is perfect. I couldn't beat the $385 price and shipping timeline.
    About 300 taps
    2'x6' air tight arch

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast