+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Maple sugar machine

I use a Kitchen-aid stand mixer. I started with the standard model, and made a lot of sugar with it, but it eventually burnt out. I then got the professional model, and it's doing fine. It's either 0.5 or 0.75 gal batches.
    Josh

2009 - 370 on vac. & 16 buckets
    2010 - 377 on vac.
    2011 - 590 on vac.
    2012 - 620 on high vac., 170 buckets, 110 on gravity tubing
    2013 - 830 mine + 800-1000 others
    2014 - 870 mine + 800-1000 others
    2017 - 920 mine + 500-700 others
    2018 - 902 mine + 500-700 others
    2019 - 902 mine + 700 others
    2020 - 902 mine + ???? others
    Atlas Copco Pump
    2.5'x8' 802maple Special with Dallaire pans
    H2O Innovation 600gph RO
    Spring Harvest Website

Hi Chris, have you ever used the wisk instead of the paddle?

Thanks,Jon

Jon,
    I have never tried the wisk to make sugar. It might work too? I have one. My thought is the as it begins to make sugar it may stick inside the wisk??? In a lump?? let me know how it works! Good luck with your 'sugarmakin'!
    Happy New Year!
    As we move int January in a couple days I start to begin to think about sugarin activities. Lots of work in the sugarhouse and getting the sugarbush lines re-set.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Hi Chris, happy new year to you as well. The reason I ask about the paddle is I found on the little 5qt kitchen aide mixer the wisk would make better sugar. Last week I bit the bullet and bought a 20qt mixer with wisk and when I tried it the otherday I noticed some syrup that stayed on bottom of bowl that didn't get mixed up, unlike the little 5qt I never had that. Wondering how the paddle works with yours if you get that at all.

Thanks, Jon

S.S.S.,
    I usually have a small amount of sugar stick to the pan in areas that the paddle does not touch. I try to stop several times and scrape the bowl.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Has anyone used one of the CDL sugar machines? Thinking of getting one but want to get some opinions first. Also does anyone know if there is a video of the unit working?

I Had no luck finding any videos of the unit in operation. I really thought about the cdl machine but the price turned me away and i purchased a hobart mixer. I have made about 50 pounds of sugar so far and love it. Before this i just used a kitchen aide mixer but just out grow it.

I tried to find a video also. Called CDL Vermont asking for one with no luck. I looked at the instructions for it and it had a long cycle time. I asked about that and he snapped back that you can't make nice sugar fast. It is getting a little harder to part with money to just get disappointed so I will wait to see one run.

Quote Originally Posted by Abattoir View Post
    Has anyone used one of the CDL sugar machines? Thinking of getting one but want to get some opinions first. Also does anyone know if there is a video of the unit working?
    I can try and put one together for you. I have a double machine that I actually have for sale. I should be making some sugar this week and will post it when I do.

It's basically a horizontal mixer as opposed to a vertical hobart or kitchen aide. You pour the syrup in and start it on the automated cycle and it starts churning one way for five minutes and the other way for five minutes and then stops. You then clear the paddles and then it start it again. By the time it stops the first time you basically have sugar but it needs to mix and dry some more. When you start it the second time, it will mix basically one way but automatically pause and spin the other way for a minute before going back the other way again.

I will spin for a while but I have not noticed a huge difference between the way the sugar comes out at 30 minutes as opposed to 60 minutes like the manual states so I just dump it after about 30 minutes. You just spin the dump and it gravity dumps into a bin. You can sift it from the bin.

Timing wise that is about the same as other mixers. With a double machine I can put 2 gallons or so in each side so I'm mixing 4 gallons of syrup at a time. It's like having 2 hobart mixers for the price of one (used). The paddles are plastic and do break but are easily replaced.

I'll try and get the video together this week but if you have any specific questions just let me know. I have my machine listed as best offer so I'm open to any offers.
    About 300 taps
    2'x6' air tight arch
    Semi complete 12'x24' sugarhouse in Somers, CT
    My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/CapturedNature
    My eBook: Making Maple Syrup in your Backyard

Hey DaveB. How much sugar can you make with your double in an eight hour day of doing nothing else? I'll pm you
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast