+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone tapping yet?

Default Anyone tapping yet?

I know there are a few of you fall tappers out there. But maybe not this year with the cold weather? Anyone made syrup this fall?
    The Maple News is the official monthly trade publication for the North American maple syrup industry.
    Subscription rates are $33/year and $60/2 years.
    Feel free to e-mail themaplenews@icloud.com for a sample copy or call us at 518-692-2204.
    Or click on www.themaplenews.com/subscribe

—The Maple News
    P.O. Box 88
    Rupert, VT 05768

I'll start the week between Christmas and New Years.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Getting close. I'll watch the weather another week and make a decision.
    Neil

I was discussing it with my wife this morning, but I am still repairing lines and need to clean the sugar shack. The next few days look like a good flow, but I'm not ready. Man I have learned a new level of hate for squirrels. I bought an 800 foot roll of tubing for repairs and one new short run and It's gone. I did have a lot of blow-down damage. I been working my main woods and I finished it today. Tomorrow I will start on the fall woods and soon as it is done I will clean the shack and tap. I'm thinking that will be Next week sometime. If it wasn't for all the damage I would be cooking.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

We've tapped some as part of a research project. Will tap a bunch more in early-mid January, and then another set in late-Feb/early-March.

We start tapping for our regular production bush in mid-January.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Last year you ran a story about someone who tapped in mid December. You said you would give a up date at season end. I guess I missed it and wondered about the out come.

You are not alone. We had many requests for an update. That was Roxbury Mountain Maple. We will get that for the January issue.
    The Maple News is the official monthly trade publication for the North American maple syrup industry.
    Subscription rates are $33/year and $60/2 years.
    Feel free to e-mail themaplenews@icloud.com for a sample copy or call us at 518-692-2204.
    Or click on www.themaplenews.com/subscribe

—The Maple News
    P.O. Box 88
    Rupert, VT 05768

My buddy down in Eastern KY tapped a few this week to see if it was running, we've had 10 days of 20/40F -ish weather. He said they were running good and hes tapping 400 next week. I plan on tapping a few silvers today just to check sugar%, they are full canopy "Swamp" trees, hoping they have as much sugar as my skinny, tall timber small, canopy sugars. If so I'll tap a hundred or so of them next year. We are usually finished boiling down here in Appalachia by the time y'all tap up north.
    '12 15 jugs - Steam pans
    '17 125 3/16 - 18" x 72" drop flue on homemade arch
    '18 240 3/16 - Deer Run 125
    '19 450 3/16 - Converted RO to electric/added a membrane
    '20 600 3/16 - Maple Pro 2x6 Raised Flue, added AOF/AUF
    '21 570 3/16 - Built steam hood, Smoky Lake filter press
    '22 800 3/16 - Upgraded RO to 4 4x40
    '23 500 3/16 - Re-plumbed RO, new "Guzzler"
    '24 500 3/16 - Steam Away, DIY 8x40 RO

+ Reply to Thread