+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brought up right

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Default Brought up right

Visited my daughter and her boyfriend in NYC a few weeks ago. We were headed to a restaurant and I had to open the glovebox in his car to get something out, and found a small bottle of maple syrup. She explained that was the "emergency" stash (some in each of their cars), in case a restaurant didn't have the real stuff. #Proud moment.

megensyrup.jpg
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

My wife and I do the same thing.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I have a pint jar in the center console of my truck at all times.

I rarely order anything that requires syrup as I know it will be table syrup. Biggest surprise 10 years ago or so at a conference in Burlington Vermont," heart of maple syrup country " and the hotel had table syrup that I couldn't gag down.
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

Eons ago when I was in college I always brought "the good stuff" to the dining hall for breakfast when we were having pancakes or French toast. It was amazing how many friends I made that way. Dr. Townsend the head of the science Dept. was a regular Thursday morning guest.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

All the dining halls at the University of Vermont serve real maple syrup from the UVM Proctor Maple Research Center.

Vermont has the only IHOP that actually serves real syrup (although you need to ask for it and pay a little more).

Sadly, even here some restaurants still default to table syrup. That's especially the case for chain restaurants.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Always amazed when we're out and I ask if it's real maple syrup. "Of course". Gag. Guess not. I really think most people think that fake stuff is real.

I grew up on a farm in Michigan, and although we didn't have a lot of things like kids do today, my Dad insisted on real maple syrup that a neighbor produced. We bought gallons of it each spring. When we got married, my wife said that she had never had the real stuff. As a result of introducing her to it, she has been very supportive of our producing it and is involved in every part of its production.
    Gary
    16' X 24' Sugarhouse
    2' X 6' Leader Inferno Arch with Revolution Raised-Flue Pans, Smoky Lake preheater and hood
    Deer Run Maple gas-powered 250 RO
    WesFab 7" filter press
    Kubota 1100 RTV with tracks and 125 gallon tank for transporting sap
    800 taps on gravity and vacuum
    Very supportive wife who is the best coworker
    http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...ing-Sugarhouse

I had breakfast a few times over the years at the Miss Bellows Falls diner, they served REAL maple syrup.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    All the dining halls at the University of Vermont serve real maple syrup from the UVM Proctor Maple Research Center.

Vermont has the only IHOP that actually serves real syrup (although you need to ask for it and pay a little more).

Sadly, even here some restaurants still default to table syrup. That's especially the case for chain restaurants.
    The other Vermont State Colleges serve the fake stuff. My daughter goes to one and keeps a jug of syrup to take in when she has pancakes or waffles.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast