+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Our hoard running low

Default Our hoard running low

Down to just 6 qts of our farm syrup. That rich dark flavor our trees produced. We've been mixing it with our front lawn trees. No flavor and so light. Ron will be out there hanging buckets. Our only sugar maple is old and full of sapsucker damage. We've had it trimmed. Lots of dead branches. The trunk isn't looking good. Hope it hangs on a bit longer.

Sugars are not the only ones that will make great syrup. Also as you blend you will find that it takes very little of the good dark syrup mixed with a lot of the too light (color not density) to yield great syrup. Many years I start with some golden and pack it into a few retail containers but then save the rest in a bulk container. I can't remember ever needing to pack more into retail, I end up blending it with a little dark and sell it as dark. A few times I've blended even less with dark to get amber, I do sell a little of that. That one requires being real careful or you will go past amber to dark.
    When blending always start with the lighter grade and slowly add the darker and mix well. Ratios vary depending on just how light one is and how dark the other but the dark goes a long way.
    Your 6 qts should be able to "fix" a whole lot of golden if you are like most of my customers. I let them sample each grade and over 90% of the time they will buy the dark. Samples are out all of the time at my one retail outlet and they go thru about 19x the dark compared even to the amber.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread