+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Maple Venison recipes

LasermanGB Guest

Default Maple Venison recipes

Well, after a terrific maple season, and now a really successful hunting season, I'm looking for recipes that can combine my two loves. Does anyone have anything to share?

1/3 maple syrup
    1/3 italian dressing
    1/3 worchester sauce
    mix together, pour over meat let sit over night in the frig, throw on the grill.
    My favorite is to make kabobs with back strap
    Last edited by Potters3; 12-11-2018 at 10:56 AM. Reason: just read again and i meant worchester not soy
    54 Acres bought in Sept 2010, hope for a lot of fun
    Kabota 3400 w/ bucket
    couple Husky chainsaws and a couple of Stihl
    Big dream
    2011 = 106 on gravity tubing, 100 bucket
    2012 =700 vaccuum 100 gravity 80 bucket's
    30" x 12' Vortex with Leader Revolution Max Raised pans
    2013 = 1200 vac, 200 gravity, 5 buckets, buying from 300 buckets, 500 vac
    Springtech RO 600 Deluxe
    2015= 1800 all vac @ home, buying sap from 1200.
    2017= 2200 all on vac. no longer buying sap

We pour the darkest syrup (or our bourbon barrel aged maple syrup) we have on most meats, venison or other. It adds a great flavor. I think the only venison we don't add one or the other is when we make a stew.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Venison Jerky. Works good with beef or venison. Jay

Bourbon Marinated Jerky

4 lbs top round or lean venison roast
    1/2 cup maple syrup
    1/4 cup water
    1/2 cup of Bourbon or your favorite whisky
    ¼ cup soy sauce
    1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
    1 tsp. coarse ground black pepper
    3 cloves garlic smashed
    1/2 tsp. onion powder
    4 tsp. Korean red pepper flakes (Gochugaru )
    2 tsp. kosher salt

Make up a smoker packet by putting 2 or 3 cups of soaked hickory wood chips in an aluminum foil package then poke 6 holes in the top with a knife to let the smoke out.

Chill roast in freezer until slightly firm about 30 minutes, then slice into ¼ inch thick slices across the grain then into long strips

Mix all ingredients in a zip lock bag and marinate meat strips overnight in refrigerator mixing the meat in the bag every few hours.

Hang meat strips from smoker grill using tooth picks on one side of your grill. Build a small charcoal briquette fire on the other side about 8 to 10 coals, cover, with vents open, and let meat dry at 140 degrees with no smoke about an hour then add some coals and place the smoke packet on top of the hot coals and let smoke until the wood chips are all smoked out. Continue cooking until the meat is dry and somewhat leathery about 6 to 7 hours.

Optional: Place smoked meat on a cookie sheet and place into a 160 degree oven for 10 min then cool (this step guarantees that the meat will reach 150 degrees for safety)

One Jerky making book says to place in a 275 degree oven for 10 min if the meat is originally cut 1/4 inch or less if more then more time in oven to make sure all pathogens are killed.
    Zucker Lager

3T syrup
    2T soy sauce
    2T sesame oil
    2T white wine
    2t garlic powder

Marinate venison loin in mix above for as long as you want (overnight is good), then grill. We will also make extra sauce on the side and slice the venison thin and stir fry it with veggies and rice for a tasty meal too. I've also made venison meatballs with that mixture in it (cooking it down to thicken it helps a lot for the meatballs).
    42.82N
    2015 - Small operation. 25 buckets. One excited 5 year old and one 35 year old that feels 5 again.
    2016 - One year older. New Homemade 2x4 Arch, Smoky Lake Pan and looking at 52 maples, 17 box elders and 2 walnut trees.
    2017 - Shurflo 4008 hooked to 42 stingy silver maples and a few Norways. A couple buckets on sugars and Norways. 10 box elders.
    2018 - ...a few more taps.
    2019 - ...more taps on 3/16 gravity. This spiral is heading downward in a hurry.
    2020 - 4x400 RO - RB20 (uh-oh!)

I made a nice venison maple breakfast sausage this year.

For 10 pounds of breakfast links

6 pounds venison - trimmed and chunked
    3 pounds of pork butt cut into chunks
    1 pound of bacon diced
    1 cup maple syrup
    1 cup ice water

Seasoning blend (mix well)

3 Tablespoons kosher salt
    3 Tablespoons black pepper
    3 Tablespoons ground sage
    2 teaspoons cayenne pepper (more to taste if you like it spicy)
    1 teaspoon rosemary
    1 teaspoon ground coriander

Came out great.
    16x24 Timber Frame Sugar House
    Mason 2x4 Evaporator
    90 trees on buckets

+ Reply to Thread