the 12" is around $1000
    Fred Ahrens
    330-206-1606
    Richards Ohio Maple Equipment
    Ohio CDL sales rep
    LaPierre Dealer
    H&M maple fabricator Dealer
    Service Tech/repair for all brands and electronics

don't take life too serious, nobody gets out alive anyways!

Thanks Fred.

Seems a few folks have demonstrated some DIY units, using stacked/ modified pots. I think I could build one for less than $150, that would have about 3 to 4 gallon full capacity, but that is also $150 risk that it may not work. A cheaper option may be to use clear plastic food containers, but be careful of going to low pressure, and lose the reheat option. $500 may not be bad to consider I don't have to make anything, and 3.6 gallon is good for me. Wish there were more reviews and feedback however. Not sure if folks are using DE in that or not, but it looks like they can.
    2014 Year 1, 1 large front yard shade tree with 3 taps - 3 quarts of the best syrup I ever had.
    2015 - Convince In-laws and Neighbors, bought F-150 and bricks. 20 taps, 4 gallons in pretty bottles.
    2016 -- More friends and neighbors, should add another 20 +, built temporary shelter as sugar shack. F150 traded for Ram 2500. Big Blue new barrels for 116 gal storage. 8 gallons Syrup.
    2017 - Mortared Brick Arch with serving pans, no make that an 18 x 48 CDL divided flat pan, 48 taps.

Made my own vacuum filter prior to ever seeing the cdl one.(or any expensive professional one.) I had the 4 gallon pots, bought a 3/4 bulkhead fitting, valve, nipples, 6.5 hp shop vac (too much h.p. had to slow it down), and ferncopvc adapter so the vac hose could adapt to threaded piping. The orlin filters come in 36"x36" so I made 4 of them to fit my syrup pot. I fixed the orlon filter by binder clips. With too much suction I found out I needed quite a few of them. They set the filter down 3/4" minimum so that created like a reservoir to know when to turn on the vac. I did this all myself so when I needed the vac on I had a switch I could hit with my foot. Took some figuring out but the only time I got syrup in my vac hose was when the pot was full. I reccomend making the sight glass or use clear PVC nipples. (Ive used them at work but not sure where to pick up). With my 4 gallon pots I was doing 3 gallon batches. May re create with large Turkey fryer sized pots for more volume or install a drain.

I bet I made this for under a hundred bucks. Why do I need a expensive filter press?

Screenshot_20190117-114421_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190117-114433_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20190117-114409_Gallery.jpg
    Last edited by needmoremaples; 01-18-2019 at 02:51 AM.

Thanks for sharing. Another convincing argument that the method works. I suppose I need to weigh the pros and cons of each. The CDL has features like the gage and the sight tube, and the clamps, all of which could be added to a DIY, but each item to add would increase the cost to make. Not to mention all the miscellaneous items are not available everywhere, probably a few days of shopping. But to minimize cost under $100 has a real upside. It looks like cleanup is not extensive, and if you can bottle right out of the bottom spigot, then that can condense the process.

I saw Dr. Tim's mention of a Buchner Funnel, they seem to be expensive in larger sizes, but am going to look at materials used in drum funnels. Attaching one of those to a lid on a clear plastic 22 quart food container should do the same thing. Those at like $15 each.
    2014 Year 1, 1 large front yard shade tree with 3 taps - 3 quarts of the best syrup I ever had.
    2015 - Convince In-laws and Neighbors, bought F-150 and bricks. 20 taps, 4 gallons in pretty bottles.
    2016 -- More friends and neighbors, should add another 20 +, built temporary shelter as sugar shack. F150 traded for Ram 2500. Big Blue new barrels for 116 gal storage. 8 gallons Syrup.
    2017 - Mortared Brick Arch with serving pans, no make that an 18 x 48 CDL divided flat pan, 48 taps.

i mostly just only put in what i know the pot holds but the sight glass is a good idea if you have a lower pipe on it. could make a bigger one too. Im still thinking of getting clear pvc nipples. If you see syrup stop lol. If your syrup is still at bottling temp you definitely could bottle at that point. i normally reheat and dump into a coffee urn with another bag orlon filter which catches any new nitre made (not too much but i love my syrup clear!) could also find a bigger pot that i could do like a water jacket instead of direct heat.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12