+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Roof jack and single wall pipe - so confused

Default Roof jack and single wall pipe - so confused

I just got a 2x5 Smoky Lake raised flue. It came with 10" stainless stack. I am going to offset the stack by about 15 degrees so that it exits just off to the side of the ridge, behind my cupola.

I ordered a roof flashing for 10". It came, and the actual opening is 12". I called the vendor and that said the 10" in the description referred to the inside diameter of insulated chimney pipe - the double wall stuff. So, it's way too large. The storm collar won't fit either, too big.

How do I run single wall pipe through a roof jack? Should I even be doing this? Do I need to find some way to transition this to insulated through the roof?

IMG_2199.jpg

Insulated 12 inch o.d. 10 inch i.d. through the roof would be what I would look at. Much safer with a red hot stove pipe going through your roof. Dont ask how I know. Dont throw anything away yet! If you can move the rig for a straight shot up it would be a little better too. But not sure of your set up.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

I agree with Chris, move your rig to the side to allow for a straight chimney. It will cost you less money and give you a better draft. You should definitely use double-walled pipe through the roof jack.
    Gary
    16' X 24' Sugarhouse
    2' X 6' Leader Inferno Arch with Revolution Raised-Flue Pans, Smoky Lake preheater and hood
    Deer Run Maple gas-powered 250 RO
    WesFab 7" filter press
    Kubota 1100 RTV with tracks and 125 gallon tank for transporting sap
    800 taps on gravity and vacuum
    Very supportive wife who is the best coworker
    http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...ing-Sugarhouse

I got my roof jack from a maple equipment supplier for my 8" stack. It is an 11" pipe with the flashing welded to it. It came with a tapered collar that clamps to the stack that covers the air gap between the pipes.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Thank you for the replies.

My problem is finding an adapter that allows me to go from 10" single wall to 10"-inner-diameter/12"-outer-diameter insulated pipe. I have spent all night looking on various chimney supply sites and as far as I can see they don't exist.

There are plenty of options for 6" and 8" single wall adapters, but nothing for 10". I can't find any way to transition my stack from single wall to insulated UNLESS I were to neck it down to 8", which would mean forfeiting almost half of the ten feet of stainless stack that came with my rig and wrecking the draft.

Try a plumbing supply house. Webbs, Blodgetts are around me. You need a 10" chimney pipe adaptor. Selkirk, Hart Cooley, MG Duravent, Metalfab are all makers of class A pipe and have these adaptors to go from single wall pipe to there double wall pipe. Local firplace / stove shop maybe able to get as well. The home depots / Lowes only stock 6 and 8".
    54 Acres bought in Sept 2010, hope for a lot of fun
    Kabota 3400 w/ bucket
    couple Husky chainsaws and a couple of Stihl
    Big dream
    2011 = 106 on gravity tubing, 100 bucket
    2012 =700 vaccuum 100 gravity 80 bucket's
    30" x 12' Vortex with Leader Revolution Max Raised pans
    2013 = 1200 vac, 200 gravity, 5 buckets, buying from 300 buckets, 500 vac
    Springtech RO 600 Deluxe
    2015= 1800 all vac @ home, buying sap from 1200.
    2017= 2200 all on vac. no longer buying sap

run the singe though the roof jack and insert 1 inch fire blanket around it the single walled pipe. 1 inch of fire blanket is zero clearance 1/2 is 1 inch clearance. or call national chimney with the right dimensions they will/can make anything. last time I had one made it cost me 50.00 . this is their # 800 897 8481
    2017 140 taps 30x8 12x16 shack 28.5 gal
    2018 158 taps 30x8 12x16 shack with 8x8 kitchen 44 gal
    2019 223 taps 30x8 12x16 shack with 8x8 kitchen 36 gal
    2020 226 taps 30x8 12x16 shack with 8x8 kitchen 250 waterloo ro 63 gal
    2021 230 taps 30x8 12x16 shack with 8x8 kitchen 250 waterloo ro 37 gal
    2022 230 taps 30x8 12x16 shack with 8x8 kitchen 250 waterloo ro 55 gal
    2023 235 taps 30x8 12x16 waterloo ro

go with what amasonary suggested and have them make a jack for the peak. I had one made and the machine shop welded the pipe right to the jack and put 2 foot below and 2 foot above with crimped ends so all I had to do is slip my pipe on and screw it together. I also wrapped my pipe with ceramic blanket, in five years I have had no problems. I think the materials (all stainless steel )and labor came to $130.00. Since you have pipe you might try a local fabricator, they should be able to make one out of stock Stainless Steel. Give them your pipe and tell them the size you want and your roof pitch and it is a simple build.

[QUOTE=TrentonMaple;360413]Thank you for the replies.

My problem is finding an adapter that allows me to go from 10" single wall to 10"-inner-diameter/12"-outer-diameter insulated pipe. I have spent all night looking on various chimney supply sites and as far as I can see they don't exist.

There are plenty of options for 6" and 8" single wall adapters, but nothing for 10". I can't find any way to transition my stack from single wall to insulated UNLESS I were to neck it down to 8", which would mean forfeiting almost half of the ten feet of stainless stack that came with my rig and wrecking the draft.[/QUOTE

Rockford Chimney Supply in South Lyon , Mi has exactly what you need . I ordered my 12” single wall to 12” Class A adaptor along with the peak 12” flashing. They have the same for your 10”
    . Good prices and fast shipping .

You should check with your local insurance/ inspector. Where I live you cannot run single wall thru the roof and you must also use stainless for anything on the outside .
    CDL 30x10
    Homebuild R.O.
    Wes Fab filter press full bank w/air pump
    ornery wife
    1 mean Stihl 460 woods ported chainsaw

Fellow Sappers!

Here is a site I ordered all of my stove pipe supplies through. www.woodstovepro.com. I ended up using Selkirk brand.
    2 X 6 Smoky Lake with auto draw and reverse flow
    16 X 16 Smoky Lake Filter/Finisher
    2017 82 on gravity and 31 on drops to buckets

+ Reply to Thread