+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: December Journal 2018

I walked my lease today. This is the one I did not get to tap last season because of my health issue. I was pleasantly surprised. Just checked the mains and maybe 30% of the laterals. So far much less damage than 2 years ago. Also decided how I will change at the tank and add more vacuum. Will use the existing chassis on the Surge pump. Will just unbolt the Alamo 30 and bolt on the Alamo 75-100. Then will put on a new 9HP Honda in place of the 6.5 HP Honda. Then I'll rework the remote gas tank stand. It had 1 tank of 4.5 gal, the new will have 2 tanks that size, plumbed together for 9 gal to feed the 9 hp engine. That Alamo had the drippers opened up, if that seems too slow I'll put on some after market drippers for more oil.
    I've been making drops, want at least 400 ready for my crew coming on Sat. Then the following weekend is the maple conf. and the following Saturday maybe finish the drops and lateral repairs, to tap if the weather looks right during the following week. Lots to do. In the week days I'll get the taps around the sugarhouse ready. There plan the 225 I had last year and about 75 new. The lease should end up with 650-700. Going to shoot for 24" vacuum this year on the lease and 27" at the sugarhouse. Then for 2020 maybe a better vacuum pump at the lease to try for 27" there too.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I finally had a chance to get into my woods today. I was really happy to find practically no damage. I found 2 broken fittings and a few limbs on laterals but that was all. I had to cut one tree out of one of my roads but it was far away from any of my lines and did no damage. Tomorrow I'll be cutting brush! Some places have been overgrown with hemlock saplings.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

I didn't make it to my lease today. But I did make between 450-500 drops, I now have to wait til the NYS Maple Conference where I will pick up 400 more Zap Bac taps I ordered. On Monday I am now going to work in my lease. Fix laterals and put in new drops. The lease needs all new drops, my sugarhouse woods has about 125 Zap Bac taps with one year, the rest were all new drops last year, thus just new taps on those. I plan the Zap Bac I'm picking up next week to go there for up to 175. The rest will go on the lease.
    I hope everyone enjoys a great season.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Folks,
    Happy New Year and may the 2019 sugaring season be productive for you!
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Last day of 2018. I have a crew of 6 going to work my bush today.
    May everyone have a safe and prosperous new year!

Only had 5 working today. We were fixing laterals and installing new drops/taps. I started with a 30 minute demo and training session, since only one had ever done it before.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123