+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Maple candy mold rubber odor

Default Maple candy mold rubber odor

Purchased a rubber mold online from bascom. The mold itself has a rubber odor to it. I have used it 3-4 times and all the candies that come out have that rubber taste. Just wondering if anyone else has had similar issues? How to get rid of the rubber smell/taste. Thanks guys!!!
    2016 — 10 taps on a turkey fryer
    2017 — 58 taps on a Leader Half Pint
    2018 — 250 taps?? Leader 2x6 WSE

12x20 Sugar Shack
    2005 Honda Rincon sap hauler

We boiled ours in a water/baking soda mixture. There were directions that came with ours that said to do that before use, but we bought them right at bascoms not online, and they might have given us the instructions at the counter. Never had any off taste in the candy at all.
    Jake
    smoky lake 2x6 drop flue SSR on homemade arch
    235 taps on 2 gast 1550s and lappiere releasers
    24x12 sugar house
    2019 Kubota L2501 work horse

We also boiled all of ours in water/baking soda. Some were new, most were used by others before. Never got any odor from them or any off taste in the candy.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I think one company has some instructions that state to boil with baking soda and paint on food grade glycerin with a small brush(a little goes a long ways). I kept the first batch for home use after the treatment, they release the candies well and no rubber taste. We experienced the same thing you mentioned.
    2.5X10 HE
    600 RO
    Vac

Purchased 4- 160 cavity maple leafs from bascoms in December. We boiled them as directions stated and used them once so far and candy taste great from them.

+ Reply to Thread