+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shurflo setups - mainline or manifold?

Default Shurflo setups - mainline or manifold?

I have about 75 taps on 3/16 and another 50 on 5/16. They are on two mainlines that converge centrally on a tank. 3/16 on the hill, east side, 5/16 on the flat southwestern side. All on gravity, or whatever vacuum the 3/16 creates. Each year the 3/16 runs great and the 5/16 is very sluggish.

I am using 1" black plastic water line as a mainline. The saddles have gotten worn out and need to be replaced.

I'm going to set up a vacuum with a Shurflo or two. Is there any consensus about which better - multiple lines converging onto a manifold next to the pump - or - using a traditional mainline with saddles which is connected to the pump?

If I go the mainline route, I was going to switch to smaller diameter mainline, probably 1/2" (which should be plenty to handle that number of taps.)
    Smaller diameter mainline should promote better vacuum, correct?

The end of the mainline will need to be sealed, correct?

Thanks for any help!

I find the DSD saddles easiest to get a good seal, but do not over tighten them, if one leaks just tighten it a little. To seal the far end I suggest you put a ball valve there. A barb style works best, but if you don't find a barbed 1/2" ball valve, use an IPS (iron pipe size, female threads) ball valve and a barb x MPT adapter (male pipe thread) Then as a safety a threaded plug is good. Put teflon thread tape or thread dope on all threaded fittings. Then after the season, use that valve to clean the line.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

You probably aren't going to get any natural vacuum benefit from the smaller 1/2" mainline. The Shurflo pump should help a lot, especially on the flat side. Multiple lines is best if using 3/16 tubing but a properly set up mainline is probably better for the 5/16.

Dave
    Mountain Maple farm
    2022 NAMSC award winning dark amber syrup
    2023: 320 taps, 70% red maples. Mountain Maple S4 diaphragm pump controller with automated sap transfer and text messaging
    https://www.mountainmaplefarm.com
    https://www.facebook.com/MountainMapleFarm/

I'm bumping this thread as I have the same question and not sure it was really answered.
    ok, so we are putting in a small vac system for about 100 taps this year (trial run, new to vac), and I stumbled upon this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNd2R964gU4&t=3s
    hopefully that displays! otherwise type in "Shurflo 4008 maple sap vacuum pump setup - SOLAR POWERED" into youtube and you'll find it. Anyway, the guy shows 7 lines (5/16) running into a manifold (like described earlier). However, our maple supplier told us that was a bad way to go, and said we needed 3/4" mainline with 5/16 laterals. Also, the guy who ran 7 lines into the manifold said the line should always be FULL whereas our supplier said there should always be space in the mainline, both saying that creates the best vacuum. So WHICH is correct?! I'm so confused! Should I take the 500ft of 3/4 tubing back and get all 5/16, or what?? We plan to use the Surflow 4008 pump.

Thanks so much guys!

Suzanne
    2014: 12 silver and red maples, metal barrel halved lengthwise set over large firepit- 2 gallons and lots of biter and paint primer in syrup.

2015: 12 black and sugar, 45 silver/red - homemade evaporator of two metal barrels attached and 3 steam table pans cut in (10 gph)

2016: aiming for 100 black maple plus 25 black walnut - homemade 2x5 steam table into evaporator to try out

The video is of 3/16. Totally different than 5/16 and works completely different for completely different circumstances.
    custom made 2x7 intensofire
    With SL pans
    250 deer run
    300 3/16 (new 2016)
    500 sacks around the neighborhood

Zandstrafarms, If you have good slope and plan to use conventional vac in the future with a dairy pump or similar I would go with a mainline and 5/16 laterals. If not and want to use the shurflo pump, I would use 3/16 into a manifold. Both systems can work very well if set up properly. The 3/16 is more forgiving of proper slope but less forgiving of leaks. I use 3 shurflo systems with 3/16 and am very happy with them.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 dropflu pans and hoods on homemade arch
    Smoky Lake 6 gallon water jacked bottler
    Concentric Exhaust
    250 Deer Run RO
    325 taps

why the manifold instead of the 3/4in mainline? So you are saying to just run all my laterals directly into a manifold?
    2014: 12 silver and red maples, metal barrel halved lengthwise set over large firepit- 2 gallons and lots of biter and paint primer in syrup.

2015: 12 black and sugar, 45 silver/red - homemade evaporator of two metal barrels attached and 3 steam table pans cut in (10 gph)

2016: aiming for 100 black maple plus 25 black walnut - homemade 2x5 steam table into evaporator to try out

so I am starting to assemble my shurflo pump set up and it says to hand tighten shurflo filter. My question is when I tighten to the point that its firm the basket strainer ends up at about 1 oclock vs. being stright down at 6 oclock. That does not seem right to me. if I back it back so basket is at 6 oclock than it seems loose and I sense it will kill vacuum?
    110 taps W.F Mason 2x3 and two turkey friers for finishing

2011 expanding to a Mason 2x4 with a blower increasing taps to about 200
    2011 Hurricane Irene rips thru my small sugar bush cost me to lose 20% of taps
    2014 I have reworked my lines for 2014
    32 taps on 5/16 line with check valves
    57 taps on 3/16 line with check valves
    55 buckets with total tapped trees of 144

I like to set the strainers up so the bowl is pointed up. Then I know it will not be full of sap at night and break. I'm sure they will do a good job at straining regardless of position, since the sap cannot bypass the strainer.

I like the Shurflo swivel type strainers. They are more expensive but you can set the orientation wherever you want, and it is easy to disconnect the pump if necessary.

Dave
    Mountain Maple farm
    2022 NAMSC award winning dark amber syrup
    2023: 320 taps, 70% red maples. Mountain Maple S4 diaphragm pump controller with automated sap transfer and text messaging
    https://www.mountainmaplefarm.com
    https://www.facebook.com/MountainMapleFarm/

Thanks Dave one more question I saw where it was suggested a 10 amp in line fuse be installed. should that go on line between temp gauge and pump? or on line from battery to temp gauge?
    110 taps W.F Mason 2x3 and two turkey friers for finishing

2011 expanding to a Mason 2x4 with a blower increasing taps to about 200
    2011 Hurricane Irene rips thru my small sugar bush cost me to lose 20% of taps
    2014 I have reworked my lines for 2014
    32 taps on 5/16 line with check valves
    57 taps on 3/16 line with check valves
    55 buckets with total tapped trees of 144

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast