+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2x3 Arch

Default 2x3 Arch

I have a small fabrication side business and I am going to build my own arch this year. My first year was on a drum evaporator but its time to upgrade, just a little. I went ahead and built a 16x24 shack and I am planning my arch build now.

I tapped 8 trees last year and I have 25 tagged for this year. Max for my property one day will be in the 50 range. This is strictly a hobby to get me away from the metal work Jan-Apr when I get burned out from Christmas rush.

I am planning for a 2x3 arch and I am going to buy a 2x3 divided Smoky Lake pan. I pretty much figured out and spec'd out the arch but I am hung up on what size stack to go with. I am going to fab up a 24" wide base stack that will be 36" tall. The peak of my roof is at 13 feet. I am planning on going straight up through the roof just off center so I can make some more room on one side of the evaporator.

For what I found Class A stainless pipe runs for, I plan on running it the entire length and will have a flip cap for the top. Will 6" pipe meet the needs of my 2x3 arch? I may add a squirrel cage blower AUF at some point.

Thanks
    Matt

Hey Matt:
    I"m running a 2 X 3 homemade arch / batch pan, with a 6" stack 8 feet tall and it static drafts enough to keep stack temps at the 900F where I like it but if I wanted it would go way over where my Thermometer reads at 1K. AUF? holy smokes I think the stack would melt ha ha Jay

Sugarin 2017 (3).jpg
    Zucker Lager

6" is usually the size that is used on a 2x3 arch. The stack will not melt, but it will get a nice patina if you get it hot enough. Study the install instructions for some manufactured 2x3's. Someday you might even decide to add AOF. AUF makes it burn hotter but AOF make it burn more efficiently, burning under the pan rather than having wood gasses igniting at the top of the stack when they get more oxygen.
    When that time comes maybe you can find a blower on an old oil burner that has been replaced, the blower will be high pressure and thus create the turbulance in the burn above the wood to get higher efficiency and more heat under the pan.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

We all know that it's some kind of law of physics that tap count only seems to increase - like entropy As someone who built a 2x4 and seem to keep finding more sap opportunities, maybe don't limit yourself with a 2x3. I have built, for mine, two 1x2' plates to cover the top and run a 2x2 pan for when I have small batches (like boxelder) but wish I had built 2x5 and blocked off a foot of the length for when I'm working on maple sap with my 2x4 divided SL pan. I have 2" of ceramic blanket bolted to the bottom of those plates plus handles. Gives me flexibility. It might be something you'd want to consider. Build a 2x4 or 2x5 and block things off and if for some reason you grow enough to need a 2x4/5 pan you can do that easily without rebuilding your arch. Then, you can even run something like the SL hybrid hobby pan should you end up needing it.

My 2x4 runs a 8" stack 10' up from the base. More than enough - drafts extremely well. 6" would have been fine.
    42.82N
    2015 - Small operation. 25 buckets. One excited 5 year old and one 35 year old that feels 5 again.
    2016 - One year older. New Homemade 2x4 Arch, Smoky Lake Pan and looking at 52 maples, 17 box elders and 2 walnut trees.
    2017 - Shurflo 4008 hooked to 42 stingy silver maples and a few Norways. A couple buckets on sugars and Norways. 10 box elders.
    2018 - ...a few more taps.
    2019 - ...more taps on 3/16 gravity. This spiral is heading downward in a hurry.
    2020 - 4x400 RO - RB20 (uh-oh!)

That’s a good idea with the plates and making a 2x4 a modular arch. I have a piece of 1/2” plate 2x4 laying in the shop. Was planning on using it anyways to use my arch as a wood stove during off season.

Littletapper... do you photos or a write up when you built your arch?

Quote Originally Posted by HondoLane View Post
    That’s a good idea with the plates and making a 2x4 a modular arch. I have a piece of 1/2” plate 2x4 laying in the shop. Was planning on using it anyways to use my arch as a wood stove during off season.

Littletapper... do you photos or a write up when you built your arch?
    Here ya go! edit - found a pic of the blocker plates before ceramic blanket - in the gallery linked below.

Thread: http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...2x4-Arch-Build
    Gallery: http://mapletrader.com/maplegallery/...rch-build.html
    Last edited by littleTapper; 11-21-2018 at 07:57 PM.
    42.82N
    2015 - Small operation. 25 buckets. One excited 5 year old and one 35 year old that feels 5 again.
    2016 - One year older. New Homemade 2x4 Arch, Smoky Lake Pan and looking at 52 maples, 17 box elders and 2 walnut trees.
    2017 - Shurflo 4008 hooked to 42 stingy silver maples and a few Norways. A couple buckets on sugars and Norways. 10 box elders.
    2018 - ...a few more taps.
    2019 - ...more taps on 3/16 gravity. This spiral is heading downward in a hurry.
    2020 - 4x400 RO - RB20 (uh-oh!)

This is how I did it. Still didn't buy that bigger pan but I am getting closer.

2-10 061.jpg
    2x3 Patrick Phaneuf Divided Pan
    Homemade arch
    RB20 RO Bucket
    121 taps total
    Sugar Shack in future
    Wife into it as much as me
    Also do homebrew

http://s928.photobucket.com/albums/ad121/ZMANSYRUP/

When I see the pictures of an arch with those filler plates on I keep visualizing a guy cooking / flipping pancakes over them.................Great idea. Jay
    Zucker Lager

We have cooked on it many times. Tough getting close to it sometimes with the heat it gives off.
    2x3 Patrick Phaneuf Divided Pan
    Homemade arch
    RB20 RO Bucket
    121 taps total
    Sugar Shack in future
    Wife into it as much as me
    Also do homebrew

http://s928.photobucket.com/albums/ad121/ZMANSYRUP/

I'm going to stick with the 2x3 for now... Ive surveyed my property again and decided what I am really in this for and a 2x3 will suffice. I drafted up a 2x3 arch in my Inkscape Program and I have a few questions to my design.

In the photo (color coded below):

The arch will be 25.5" wide by 50" long. The firebox will be 19" deep by 18" wide by 18" tall (orange and brown). The arch section is approx. 6" tall, but I will add a riser (black) to pinch it down to 2.25" airspace (green) between bottom of pan. After adding in 1" ceramic insulation (blue) I will be around 1.25" airspace under pan by 23.5" across.

I will be building my own base stack and I am planning on 6" double walled stack standing approx. 18 feet tall.

Questions I have:
    1. Is my airspace correct for 6" stove pipe?
    2. Can my arch have the 90 degree bend with the 45 degree riser?
    3. Is my firebox too deep?
    4. Is my stove pipe correct height? (Cupola is within 24" and sits approx 3 feet higher than roof ridge) The 18 feet overall includes my base stack and will put me close to 3 feet
    above cupola roof.)
    5. I am planning on a squirrel cage blower injected under the grates.

2x3 arch.jpg

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast