+ Reply to Thread

Thread: broken main line wire

Default broken main line wire

Just found mainline wire broken. Whats everybody find is the best way to splice back together?

gripple is the easiest and holds up very well
    2x6 RAISED FLUE PANS
    by WF MASON
    650 taps on vac.
    100 on bags

I like fastloks. No special tools needed. Break strength as high as the ht wire.
    https://kencove.com/fence/Fastlok+Wi...detail_CLO.php
    Jake Moser
    Moser's Maple

2 beautiful little girls
    1 wife that's become her mother

www.facebook.com/mosersmaple

Currently I use the crimp sleeves but am planning to switch over to the Fastlok's like Jake is using when I use up my supply of crimp sleeves. It'll be one less tool to carry when making repairs.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

I want to agree with the fastlok comments. They are an improvement over the gripple. We have not had a fastlok fail but we did see gripples fail.
    35 years making syrup.
    President of Ohio maple producers
    4000 taps today...hopefully 5000 soon with some high yields tapped in 10 years?
    Leader Dealer
    Mountain cur for a woods partner

Loosen some side ties, then add the fastlock using the tension tool (or a fence stretcher) and then re-do the side ties for tension. If you loosen enough side ties you may not need the tensioner.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I have no idea of the failure rate of the fastlocks. Perhaps very low to none? Might interest me if they stand up for many years. I've found I can't beat the good double crimp sleeves, though. I double on straight runs, and never had a failure. I use a fence stretcher(Strainrite) to bring the ends to overlap. I know my fencing expert used to use a similar straight fitting, similar to fastlock, I assume, but he went back to crimps due to failures. It does require carrying a big crimping tool around though, which can be a pain. FWIW, tried gripples a few times, and returned them all. Almost every one failed due to the amount of tension I put on.
    Tim Whitens
    Willow Creek Farm
    Fulton, NY

3000 on vacuum, 3hp 3ph Busch pump, 2567 Gast
    30X8 Leader oil-fired evap. w/ steamaway
    Airablo 1000 RO
    6 Alpacas

I actually use 3 crimp sleeves, would 1 work? Maybe, what about 2? maybe better, but I like 3.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

And I'm not talking the cheap crimps from TSC. The ones like Kencove sells or Kiwi. I can actually get about three crimps on each one.
    Tim Whitens
    Willow Creek Farm
    Fulton, NY

3000 on vacuum, 3hp 3ph Busch pump, 2567 Gast
    30X8 Leader oil-fired evap. w/ steamaway
    Airablo 1000 RO
    6 Alpacas

I use crimps but that's only because I have high tensile fences on the farm. 2 should be fine, 3 would definitely hold up. I do like the looks of those fastlok splices though, they look super simple to use.
    Road's End Farm - Starting small with no end in sight!

+ Reply to Thread