+ Reply to Thread

Thread: cleaning 30 gallon storage barrels

Default cleaning 30 gallon storage barrels

I clean my 30 gallon barrels with a pressure washer. I am put the nozzle through the bung hole and can get the sides and bottom of the barrel very well but can NOT get the top. Is there any way to get the top of bunged barrels with a pressure washer?

Are they SS barrels? They can be cleaned , best done shortly after emptying. I stand them up on a raised platform with the open bung hole down and barely hanging off the platform. I then spray them with hot water using just a 3.3 gpm diaphragm pump and pushing permeate thru my instant water heater. The spray does well, and being permeate it takes on anything in there. I put the nozzle in the bung hole , prop it there and spray for 10-12 minutes. If I run out of permeate, I haul in some water from home, let it set for 1-2 days to evaporate off some chlorine, then I use that water. Any water left is pumped into the permeate tank except when freezing weather is possible.
    If this is being cleaned a long time after the barrel was emptied, I think a barrel washer may be needed. The one's I've seen rotate the barrel at about a 45 degree angle with the open bung down and a spray of good potable water is sprayed in.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Hey Bear:
    Check into something called a "super swivel" for pressure washer nozzles. Install the swivel on the wand, get a 90 degree elbow install that in the side of the "super swivel" to make a return and install your nozzle in that. I think if you have the nozzle angled just a bit off centerline it might spin automatically? If you forget and hit the trigger you'll get a face full. Jay
    Zucker Lager

+ Reply to Thread