+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Powering Steam Coffee urn with Spa Steam generator

Default Powering Steam Coffee urn with Spa Steam generator

Ok fellow traders. I’ve got a steam powered coffee urn I’d like to use for bottling that’s really for restaurant use, as it requires an external source for steam to heat the water jacket. The steam flow is controlled with a solenoid, runs through a coil to heat the water tank, then exits through a steam trap (see diagram), where presumably it exits as condensed water. Steam inlet pressure is 15-30psi and steam requirement is 7-21lbs/hr.

Ebay sells steam generators for spa use for about $100. I can’t tell how much pressure they might generate, as they are designed to simply exhaust into the shower. There is a pressure relief valve on the generator for its water tank, and a separate thermostat to control the steam tank temp—also with safety shutoff if it goes above 212.

Thoughts on whether this would work to generate steam for the urn if properly plumbed, perhaps with a pressure gauge and another relief valve? Or, I could get a proper bottler, but why do that?

65480AAF-9966-4559-8847-893ADF5295F0.jpg

I suggest you get some specs from the manufacturer of the steam generator. If I were to guess I'd be surprised if it makes enough steam.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread