+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stopping mid-boil

Default stopping mid-boil

Hi, I’m not a first time tree tapper but this coming 2019 season will be my first time boiling. I use to give sap to a fellow friend but after purchasing land and having more trees I plan on boiling myself (about 100 taps going in) so I have to ask, I’m using propane and say I boil for four hours after work but don’t finish it that night can I stop cooking it mid-boil and pick it back up the next day ... or does that ruin sap to syrup process?

Any tips you can offer a beginner would also be much appreciated, thanks

Hi MiniBarns
    Shouldn't hurt anything to stop boiling and start up again later. I do it all the time. You might get slightly darker syrup, but to me it hasn't been a big deal. A lot of guys want to finish all the sap the day it is collected so that they don't get bacteria growth in the sap and darker syrup.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    50 taps all on buckets
    Home made 20" x 52" evaporator

I do just that every season. As long as you don't let it go bad between boils you'll be fine! maybe a bit darker and more niter

Thanks! That’s a relief to hear it’s ok, at least on weekends I can spend a good chunk of hours constantly boiling but that it’s ok to pause. I actually prefer darker syrup myself so that certainly won’t be a problem!

Im a little nervous boiling for the first time so I’ve been reading tons, watching other’s videos as well.

What are you boiling on? Processing sap from 100 taps is going to be a lot of hours boiling.
    2016 - helped at afriend with a small operation, 300+ taps. = hooked
    2017 - 20 taps @ home, 1 gal @ home on propane, then hauled to friends operation
    Bought a whole shack locally, with a Leader 1/2 Pint, moved it home
    2018 - 50 taps, 9 on 3/16 gravity and 41 pails -14 gallons of good sweet stuff
    2019 - 27 taps, 17 on 3/16 gravity and 10 on pails - 12-3/4 gallons of good sweet stuff (most fun I've had with this hobby)

Still looking around haven’t bought anything yet, looking to stay away from burning wood. I don’t expect a 100+ gallons of sap, almost all the trees except ten have never been touched before, are forest grown and around here it seems forest grown that don’t get too much sun and are surrounded by pines don’t produce as well as the massive ones that thrive in cleared spaces and are 70+ inches around — those handful of large ones near the house give a good amount though.

Don't be fooled, some medium size trees will give lots of sap if they are in moist soil and if they have good crowns the sugar will be good. I find sometimes a tree that is 12-15" DBH is a great producer. A tree does not have to be huge to get lots of sap out the taphole.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Once you get the pan sweetened, you will always have syrup, or near syrup, when you shut down. Be more concerned about your sap. It will spoil if left too long in warmer temperatures. You’re going to have a blast. My bet is that you’re going too move up to a half pint very soon. Have fun.
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

Stopping and starting the next day will be fine. They call that sleep! stopping for a week can even work if the temps are cold but not freezing your pans solid.
    Welcome, and good luck! Start slow.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Default stopping mid-boil

As the others mentioned most of have to start and stop. No issues.

Make sure you get a good evaporator with drop or raised flues if your starting with a decent amount of taps. We started with 250 taps and quickly realized we needed an RO or a bigger Evaporator. Our sugar shack is only so big, so the current evaporator is staying, but we added a 40gph RO for this year. I sure hope it helps.

Its fun, tiring and addicting.
    Last edited by EBG18T; 12-10-2018 at 07:44 PM.
    10’x16’ Sugarhouse
    18x60 CDL Drop flue Evaporator
    100 Taps on gravity

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast