+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Finalizing My Design

By the way, I don't think I answered your first question. Yes the cupola will be large enough. With no hood, a 2x3 pan wants a 6 sq. ft. cupola opening.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Thanks for all of your help. I’m sure to have some more questions as I roll along here. Got a whiff of a wood stove fire the other day. It got the adrenaline flowing to motivate me in the 20 degree winds!!

HondoLane,
    That looks very good! Congratulations on the new sugarhouse!
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

It look like the cupola doors will swing down and outward. That is good, just make sure you design a stop so they do not tilt out much past level. They do want to slope down so you don't channel rain or melting snow inside but if they tilt too far they become very hard to close. The stops can be as simple or as fancy as you want. A simple light weight check chain or rope does well, then use a rope and pulley to close it or them. For mine both sides open at the same time and one rope pulls them both closed.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

D2A34102-A388-456D-B2D1-1CB1F97AA0B2.jpg

Almost there! Cupola is complete. Doors work great. I went with the swing down style. Went with a 2 pulley setup. Doors close with ease. I also repurposed some parts from my Hobie Cat to limit the opening.

Also was able to fab up a stack cap. Need to get the evaporator set and put the stack up.

Got a question... so I set my arch and installed my stack. I’m looking at only 6” of clearance from my base stack to the wall.

What can I use to protect my wall from burning? I have some corrugated steel and can fasten 1” ceramic blanket to the backside. I also have some durock I can use to.

The rest of my stack is double wall and has a rated 2” clearance.

The 1" ceramic and the corrugated steel will do it well, just be sure to not compress the insulation when you mount it.

What is the clearance of 1” ceramic insulation?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast