+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Finalizing My Design

Default Finalizing My Design

This is my second year coming up and I went all-in on building a 16x24 sugar shack. Its part storage by 1/2 of it will be dedicated to my hobby setup. I plan on running a 2x3 arch and I'm going to tap about 25 trees.

I have a few design/modification questions. I am going with a set of Jamaica Cottage Shop plans and it will have a 4x8 functional cupola. I am going to shift the cupola more towards the end where my arch will be.

Will the 4x8 cupola with (2) 12"x72" doors on both sides be sufficient to ventilate the steam?
    I see that the metal roof is exposed inside of the sugar shack. Should I insulate the underside of the roof?
    How do most people run the smoke stack through the roof?

Thanks in advance!!

Matt

I run a leader half pint inside a 12X 10 Amish style shed, metal roof (exposed inside, no insulation) with a 3X6 cupola over the evaporator, the stack runs straight up through the roof.
    Don't have much trouble with steam inside. There are times, I believe with the right (or wrong) weather conditions "barometric pressure?" that I get some steam inside. It's generally so hot inside that I run with the door mostly open.
    2016 - helped at afriend with a small operation, 300+ taps. = hooked
    2017 - 20 taps @ home, 1 gal @ home on propane, then hauled to friends operation
    Bought a whole shack locally, with a Leader 1/2 Pint, moved it home
    2018 - 50 taps, 9 on 3/16 gravity and 41 pails -14 gallons of good sweet stuff
    2019 - 27 taps, 17 on 3/16 gravity and 10 on pails - 12-3/4 gallons of good sweet stuff (most fun I've had with this hobby)

That’s good insight. I’m hoping with my half pint sized evaporator and the size of the cupola will suffice. I see in my plans, the area where the cupola mounts is really reinforced with a more solid 1” board pattern as opposed to spaced out perlins. I’m wondering if I added that “double bubble” foil faced insulation I’d almost eliminate any condensation from dripping? I can live with some moisture... just don’t want a rain forest.

Does anyone have any pictures of how they did their roof jack? I plan on placing my arch dead center under the peak and the pan centered under the cupola. I was planning on black pipe halfway up then switching to an insulated pipe to pass through the roof and terminate outside.

With the bare steel roofing exposed inside, you will get rain in there, as some steam hits the colder steel and condenses. You have at least 2 options, maybe more. Add a layer of plywood or OSB or similar on the rafters before the steel goes on or a second option, make a hood with steam stack and run it either into the cupola or out thru the roof. I had 3 different evaporator set ups with home made hoods before my current one with a factory hood. If you make a hood, design it with a gutter system and drain, because lots of steam will condense and run back into the pan to be boiled again and again without it. Also, under the steam stack make a shallow funnel to catch the stack condensate and send it to the gutter you make. My gutters were made of 1x1x1 aluminum channel, mitered at the corners and "welded" using aluminum rod and a map gas torch. The drain was added the same way, another 5-6" long aluminum channel "welded" to a good place to run the drain and catch some hot water. One hint on the drain, slope it slightly away from the hood so the drips fall off rather than follow the channel back on the underside and then run down the pan and wet the gasket under the pan. A 2-3 degree slope prevents that.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Welcome,
    I am not familiar with plans for a shop in Jamacia? Didnt even know they made syrup down there. I am familiar with great lakes sugarhouse designs and steam. If you want all the steam out, think about some tight fitting low hoods and steam pipes. If not invest in rain coats.
    I hope you have a good season. Your sugarhouse size sounds good. I have that size for the evaporator room, then additions for wood and kitchen area.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Last edited by Sugarmaker; 11-22-2018 at 09:30 AM.
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

HAHA.. Jamaicans even had a bobsled team once too.. So since my last post, I have researched non stop.. now I feel versed enough to move forward. Next is what size stack for my 2x3? AND does anyone have any pictures of how they run their flip cap line?

Do you get condensation and dripping from the exposed metal roofing?

On a 2x3 a 6" stack is used.
    Yes, tombaisley, it will rain if the steel roofing is exposed, unless you make a hood to carry the steam out. If making a hood, make a gutter around the bottom, with a drain, that will give you some hot water. Also, hang a rather flat funnel under the stack to catch condensate dripping out of the stack and channel it to the gutter.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Thanks for all of the help so far!! Things are coming along!!

B6ADB7D6-D924-4F38-BCF6-EB4C481DF7EB.jpg

That is looking real good! This was the time of the year I build mine 18 years ago. Your coming along nicely =. Yea 6 inch should be fine for stack on that rig.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast