+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need small vacuum/releaser like the lunchbox

Default Need small vacuum/releaser like the lunchbox

I have been using the Lunchbox vacuum/releaser air powered system to draw vacuum on my reds over the last couple of years. Wanting to expand into some other bushes I purchased gas powered air compressor to drive two more systems. Just communicated with Dean today and he has left the business. Does anybody have any Lunchbox Vacuum/Releasers from Northwood SugarWorks they are willing to sell? I am looking for two.

Alternatively, can anyone recommend a similar low cost vacuum system for connecting 80 to 100 taps? I have a portable generator and, as I say, a gas powered compressor.

Thank you in advance.
    Bob Harris, @puslinchbob, since 2009
    400 taps in 2 very flat red maple bushes
    2 Sapguzzler vacuum pumps each with 200 taps
    30" x 96" Smoky Lake Silver Plate with pre-heat and auto drawoff
    Bombardier Traxter XT fitted with tracks pulling 400 litre tank

I have one that I’d be willing to part with. Used sparingly one season.

You might consider a small diaphragm pump like Shurflo. They can handle up to about 150 taps. More than that you would want to look at the Guzzler pumps. The Shurflo's are generally 12 volt so you can power it with a marine battery. A solar panel can be used to keep it charged then you don't need the generator. I make a controller to help with tuning on/off since the diaphragm pumps don't like pumping ice, or there are other options.

North wood is out of business? I met Dean last year, was very helpful.

Dave
    Mountain Maple farm
    2022 NAMSC award winning dark amber syrup
    2023: 320 taps, 70% red maples. Mountain Maple S4 diaphragm pump controller with automated sap transfer and text messaging
    https://www.mountainmaplefarm.com
    https://www.facebook.com/MountainMapleFarm/

I also suggest you look into battery powered diaphragm pumps. Lots of producers use them for the size bushes you are talking about. I think most use 2 deep cycle (marine type) batteries, one charges while the other is being used. They would be far cheaper to run than to burn gas in the compressor.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread