+ Reply to Thread

Thread: shipping bulk??

Default shipping bulk??

Anyone out there shipping the 5 gallon plastic containers?? If so could you please give me some insight on that? method/ carrier and maybe $ . If not and are shipping via the 4 - 1 gallon boxes, could you give me the same suggestions?? thank you!!!
    www.MaharMaple.com
    Vortex 30x10 woodfired
    springtech 600
    3000+ taps
    vacuum/ gravity/ buckets

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mahar View Post
    Anyone out there shipping the 5 gallon plastic containers?? If so could you please give me some insight on that? method/ carrier and maybe $ . If not and are shipping via the 4 - 1 gallon boxes, could you give me the same suggestions?? thank you!!!
    I used to ship 5 gallons in metal containers and I would just ship them the way that they were without an issue. I don't know about 5 gallon pails with a handle though. The cost was pretty steep though. The cheapest way I've found to ship an amount like that is in large flat rate priority mail boxes with gallon containers. The box is just big enough to fit two gallons side by side. Each box costs about $19 to ship and if your customer doesn't mind 4 or 6 gallons, its the most economical way to ship them.
    About 300 taps
    2'x6' air tight arch
    Semi complete 12'x24' sugarhouse in Somers, CT
    My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/CapturedNature
    My eBook: Making Maple Syrup in your Backyard

Default Shipping Nightmares

So in the last year I've run the gantlet of shipping nightmares this year. I ship about 300 gallons a year to NYC. All of it in 1 gallon containers, packaged in the 4-1 gallon cardboard box taped to the max. Usually shipping 4 boxes a month, during the holiday seasons it picks up. Have had this account for a couple of years and the last year was the worst by far, lost over $1000 in damaged syrup.

Started with UPS, they destroyed boxes and would not insure or compensate for their idiots dropping boxes. Tried FedEx, first shipment they dropped or destroyed 1 box. Compensated for up to $100, barely covers half the syrup. Tried USPS flat rate boxes, they dropped it and burst a bottle, they compensated but still had to ship out another package and lose my time.

NOW I'm using Land Air Freight and shipping pallets of 40 gallons of the time. Service has been great. No damage, they pick up at the farm the day after I call and deliver that day. The best part is they were almost $100 cheaper in shipping than the other big shippers out there. I know this only works for big orders but potentially could ship smaller amounts. Land Air Freight also insures all shipments for $5 per pound, no matter what it is.
    Harding Hill Farm
    2650 taps
    3rd Generation Sugar Maker with a Chocolate Lab named Acer

http://www.hardinghillfarm.com
    www.facebook.com/hardinghillfarmnh

We had the same problem with the usps flat rate boxes. Now we just insert extra cardboard all the way around the inside and double tape. That solved the problem.
    3x8 Algier Evaporator. 600 gph Lapierre RO. 10" Filter press. We buy sap.

+ Reply to Thread