+ Reply to Thread

Thread: pipe diameter for 2x4

Default pipe diameter for 2x4

picked up a smokey lake 2x4 that came with single wall 7" flue pipe. I want to put double wall through the roof. Stack would be about 12'. Would putting a reducer to accommodate 6" pipe at the top of stack have much impact on boiling rate? 6" double wall is easier and cheaper to find that 7" double wall.....
    thanks!

By double wall I hope you mean a class A insulated chimney. Just double wall in uninsulated will get too hot and could set the roof on fire. On a 2x4 you could likely "get away" with a 6" as long as the stack total is 12', but if you go to an 8" you would then be set for your next larger evaporator, a 2x6 and could use the same thru the roof stack. It all depends on what your plans are for 5 years out.
    If you are likely to get a 2x6 in 3-5 years, the long term will cost more now but less in the long run. If you are unlikely to expand to where you need a 2x6 until 6 years or beyond a 6" is likely the best call.
    Last edited by maple flats; 11-05-2018 at 03:39 PM.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread