+ Reply to Thread

Thread: zero vacuum tank questions

Default zero vacuum tank questions

There is a possibility that I can purchase a 600 gallon zero tank and pump. I am not familiar with them. Would someone be able to tell me some info on them and pros and cons. Thank You

The big pro is that you don't need a releaser. On the cons side you have 2 big ones, it can implode if you put it to more than 20" of vacuum (members on here have had that happen). The other is that it can tend to get the sap warmer because it can not breathe.
    A partial solution for the temp. issue is to keep it out of the sun, or bury it in snow.
    Are you sure it is a vacuum tank, not all Zero tanks are made for vacuum. If for vacuum it will have a designation tag on it. If it does not say, it may not be a vacuum tank, in which case it will likely have a vent in the top. I have 2 Zero tanks, one is vacuum, the other is not. The one that is not, has a vent next to the cover. It is only about 1.5" diameter and has a rubber cap that sets on top and there are 2 holes in the side of the tube for the vent, then there is a SS cone that sets over it all which has lots of small holes in it.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

We use a 400 gallon zero tank. It's. Nice because you don't need a releaser for it. We usually keep it at about 22-24 inches vacuum. The gaskets for the lids are very expensive. We use tygon tubing for the lid gaskets. Can be a little tricky to get too seal but work well. Cleaning the tank is so much better than those stupid plastic tanks.

On mine, I clean it every time I pump it out. On my trailer I haul 3 IBC totes, 2 for sap and the 3rd hauls about a hundred gal of permeate. I use a Honda WX15 to pump the sap from the tank to the trailer. Then every time I emptied the tank, I then turn that same pump around, hook it to pump from the permeate and after the pump I reduce it from 1.5" all the way down to a 5/16 lines with a ball valve. I simply open the drain valve and rinse. It only takes 6-8 minutes from when I turn the pump around to when it is finished. Then I close the valve and restart the vacuum pump. If the tank was not emptied, I only come back for more if it looks like there is at least another full tote worth, otherwise it gets emptied mid morning the next day and I then wash it.
    After seeing a fellow member on here show a picture of his imploded Zero, I keep my vacuum regulated at 19".
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

There are goods and bads about the zero tanks. We have 7 of them and run the vacuum as high as we can and never had an issue with anything. We usually aim for vacuum of 25. They are nice that they hold 600 gallons of sap before losing any if you have float problems. You can also rinse your holding tank as these are filling up since they hold so much.

I like the releasers as you can see the sap coming in and you have the clear lids on each end. Now, the downfall with releasers is they can get damaged if you use a pressure washer on them where the zero tanks are more forgiving.

I have had more problems with the releasers than the zero tanks. If you have any other questions just ask

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread