+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: November Journal

Default November Journal

Finished walking roughly 80,000 feet of tubing only found 1 squirrel chew but had 2 main lines taken down by trees (don't get mad get even they're going in the fire box this spring ). Flagging the next 40 and putting up more line in November!
    Maple Man 85
    Anthony & Rebecca Renken
    2017=200 taps
    2018=4000 taps (goal) 3000 taps (actual)
    2019=7000 taps (goal)
    30x45 Sugar House
    4x16 Leader Vortex
    www.northwoodsmaplefarm.com

I just bottled another SS barrel worth of jugs. My bourbon barrel aged syrup is doing well. I will have another batch ready in about 4-5 weeks.
    We are getting started getting ready for '19 season. Putting a new bigger Honda on an Alamo 75 so we can turn it a little faster. Might try to get it to a 100 so it should work better. We are adding more, but no new mains, just picking up some more trees with 3/16. Might get to 950, maybe 1000. That's about 50 more reds around the sugarhouse and 50 more sugars at the lease. Will also increase the vacuum at the lease from 19" thru a vacuum tank to 23-24 with a releaser. Then the following year maybe even get a better vacuum pump and add 3-4 more inches of vacuum.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Been working in the woods cutting branches off lines. I also rewire tied some of my older saddles. I also rewire tied all mainlines where it was needed. New pump and releaser room is looking good and I am almost done with that. I will make one more pass through the woods in December and then plan to tap the 3rd and 4th week of January.

Spud

Been working on filling the woodshed, I've got less than a cord to go. I'm going to be burning all hardwood this year for the first time in a long time. I haven't had a chance to get into the woods yet and I'm hoping that I didn't lose any trees. We've had a lot of strong winds at times and had a real bad wind storm early last month.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

I likely have enough wood for the season, but I'm still putting more up. At this point I have just 1 log to process (correction I have a pile of logs which contains at least 30 full cord, but I'm only planning to process one). That one was cut just over a year ago, is about 13-14' long and is about 26-28" diameter. It was put where only the last few inches of the log are touching the ground. I will carry it out this next week, buck and split it wrist sized.
    If I was to have a need in season for more firewood I have that big stack which is between 3 and 7 years old, much is ash and cherry. Plus I have likely 4-6 cords of hemlock slabwood off the sawmill.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I have a ton of work in my woods. I have 4 runs broken from trees falling and will have to reroute 1 line. I lost 4 sugar maples and one red. All them are firewood now. I will still cut wood, but I have two years worth cut, split and stacked. A local producer has quit due to health and is wanting to sell his equipment, so I'm going to see if he has anything I want. He has a used evaporator if anyone is looking for one. I'm not sure of the size, it may be a 3x8. I know it is leader drop flue and probably 15 years old. It has not been used for 3 years at least. I think I'm going to make a supply run in a couple weeks as I need tubing and fittings, so I'll buy everything I need for the season. It is about to get busy as I want to be ready to tap by Christmas or new years.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Lampron View Post
    Been working on filling the woodshed, I've got less than a cord to go. I'm going to be burning all hardwood this year for the first time in a long time. I haven't had a chance to get into the woods yet and I'm hoping that I didn't lose any trees. We've had a lot of strong winds at times and had a real bad wind storm early last month.
    Russ, no sense of checking lines today, with the way the wind is screaming and rain pouring, odds are the sugarbush is going to take a beating.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

Got my new Smoky Lake silver plate arch set up and stack installed. Need to brick it sometime in the next month or so. Just got a new Wes Fab short bank press. When all the leaves are off I will be fixing lines and replacing all drops. This is all part of my downsizing from 1000 taps to around 200-300.
    1000 taps on vac down to 100+ buckets 99% sugars
    2x5 SL Hi-Output Raised Flue Corsair evaporator
    SL Short bank press with CDL diaphragm pump
    Leader Micro 1 RO for 2024
    Constantly changing
    2010:36 gal 2011:126 gal 2012:81 gal 2013:248 gal 2014: 329.5 gal 2015:305 gal 2016:316 gal 2017:258 gal 2018:147 gal 2019:91 gal 2020:30 gal 2021:30 gal 2023:50 gal Total since 2010: 2047.5 gal
    Tapping the same trees my great, great and great grandfathers tapped.

Quote Originally Posted by spud View Post
    Been working in the woods cutting branches off lines. I also rewire tied some of my older saddles. I also rewire tied all mainlines where it was needed. New pump and releaser room is looking good and I am almost done with that. I will make one more pass through the woods in December and then plan to tap the 3rd and 4th week of January.

Spud
    What did you decide on for the new pump?
    3,100 taps
    60 cfm flood
    HC2
    5 by 14 oil

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Sunday Rock Maple View Post
    What did you decide on for the new pump?
    I bought a Air Tech Liquid ring pump.

Spud

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast