+ Reply to Thread

Thread: One of New England's Oldest Families Back at it.

Hybrid View

Default One of New England's Oldest Families Back at it.

I'm a direct descendant of John Porter who settled in Salem, MA in 1635. He established the first sawmill in that area and fought against the witch trial madness. He had a large farm as well. Many of his decendants, including my own great grandfather and grandfather were farmers and sugarmakers from Massachusetts up to the Canadian Maritimes. I will soon join that legacy with my own family sugarbush in southern VT. I've lived in central VT for the better part of the last 20 years. Went to school there. Met my wife there. Had kids born in VT. Now we will be working the land and diving into the full-time operations of our sugarhouse and apiary ....soon!

I love this forum and the stories I've read so far.

Many cheers to you all!

Welcome Faewood, glad to have you aboard.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Welcome! Awesome bunch of people here. They have helped me a lot!

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Welcome! Consider joining the Vermont Maple Sugar Makers Association if you wish to be part of that community. www.vermontmaple.org
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Very interesting posts here. I also am a direct descendant of some of the oldest families in America (Phelps, Porter, Battles).
    William Phelps landed in what is now Dorchester MA in 1630 aboard the Mary & John ship from England. He helped found Dorchester and later Windsor, CT. Family line is William Phelps -> Capt. Timothy Phelps -> Timothy Phelps -> Cornelius Phelps -> Silvenas Phelps -> Zerviah (Phelps) Porter -> Arethusa (Porter) Battles -> Alexander Seth Battles -> Oscar A Battles -> Marguerite Elizabeth (Battles) Roseum -> Lawrence L Roseum -> Roger L Roseum -> Daniel L Roseum

The family has been active in sugaring for generations upon generations. I have a picture of Oscar Battles sugarhouse posted here:
    https://www.sugartree.run/p/about-us.html
    D. Roseum
    www.roseummaple.com
    ~100 taps on 3/16 custom temp controlled vacuum; shurflo vacuum #2; custom nat gas evap with auto-drawoff and tank level gas shut-off controller; homemade RO #1; homemade RO #2; SL SS filter press
    2021: 27.1 gallons
    2022: 35 gallons

My husband's family began its history in North America aboard "The Fortune" which landed in Plymouth on November 9, 1621. Unfortunately "The First Thanksgiving" had taken place a few weeks before so they only got cold, lousy turkey leftovers - and not a microwave or propane BBQ in sight! The horror.
    ~ Karen ~

2012 - 10 taps, 1 turkey fryer - 169.5L sap 4.2 L syrup
    2013 - 23 taps, 2 turkey fryers - 748.5 L sap 17.56 L syrup

2014 - 22 taps, 509 L sap 12.5 L syrup
    2015 - 28 taps, 1093.75 L sap 25.1 L syrup
    2016 - 25 taps, 1223.5 L sap 28.25 L syrup
    2017 - 21 taps, 518.5 L sap 12.7 L syrup
    2018 - 28 taps, 2 turkey fryers & Denali 3 burner propane stove - 798L sap 16.9 L syrup
    2019 - 28 taps, 1409.5L sap 40.12L syrup

Sugar, Norway, Manitoba, Silver and Freeman Maples

+ Reply to Thread