+ Reply to Thread

Thread: large enough blower?

Default large enough blower?

I have a 2x6 with 8 inch stack that I want to add a blower to. I was gifted a used 90 cfm shaded pole blower from an old water heater. Is 90 cfm enough? Link to blower below.

https://www.mccombssupply.com/w3-fas...-239-39785-00/

I don't think so, your going to want about 200 or more, I have an old oil gun that runs mine, it is good sized one but I got it for free. If you know someone in the heating business it's a great way to get one.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

I just finished building my own 2x4. It has a 275 cfm blower on it and its sized just about perfect for it, maybe a little small if anything. I would get around a 400 cfm for your rig.
    Jake
    smoky lake 2x6 drop flue SSR on homemade arch
    235 taps on 2 gast 1550s and lappiere releasers
    24x12 sugar house
    2019 Kubota L2501 work horse

The one with an oil burner blower is a high pressure blower, thus it will work well at fewer CFM. You want about a blower of 273 CFM in a squirrel cage blower for a 2x6 arch. According to the Bascom Catalog, a 2x4 up thru a 3x10 all use a 273 cfm blower, then as the size of the arch goes up from a 3x10 the blower also gets larger.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Thanks guys. I did a little research and found the Dayton 1TRD3 online, which I believe should bolt up the studs left on the back of my firebox by the arch manufacturer. It is 265 cfm and can be had new for $80. Not too bad I guess.

That should be fine.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Got the blower in and now it's time to wire it up. I've read where folks use a router speed control to vary the speed and to turn on and off. This model is not a shaded pole unit, so it technically is not designed to run at variable speeds. I kind of like the idea of variable speed.

Anyone else done this before? Am I guaranteed to burn up the motor?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

When I had that problem I made a damper for the outlet of the blower to restrict the airflow into the arch. Once I got it dialed in it worked great.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Quote Originally Posted by mudr View Post
    Got the blower in and now it's time to wire it up. I've read where folks use a router speed control to vary the speed and to turn on and off. This model is not a shaded pole unit, so it technically is not designed to run at variable speeds. I kind of like the idea of variable speed.

Anyone else done this before? Am I guaranteed to burn up the motor?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I've been using a Dayton model 4C447 blower for some years on my oil tank arch (2x4 pan and 2'x16" pan) wired to a speed control I purchased for about $30; checking Dayton's website, the 4C447 blower is no longer available and shows two replacements: the 1TDR3 (PSC type motor) and the 6FHX9 (shaded pole motor); the specs on both are very close to each other and to that of my blower. There are speed controls that will work with both motor designs, simply search online for "speed controls for PSC motors" if you have or will obtain the 1TDR3 and you'll see a variety (remember: you get what you pay for). I've made several mods to my oil tank arch to improve the boil rate and by far the #1 mod was adding Air Under Fire with the blower; the speed control dialed in the sweet spot for CFM and there was no turning back. Good Luck!
    2010 - 12 taps, turkey fryer, 4 quarts
    2011 - 24 taps, homemade arch from old water tank, 16"x24" flat pan, 16+ quarts
    2012 - 9 taps, 3 pints, what a season
    2013 - 60 taps, homemade oil tank arch with 2'x4' flat pan, 16"x24" finishing pan on electric range, 55 quarts
    2014 - 80 taps, homemade oil tank arch with 2'x4' flat pan, 16"x24" finishing pan on electric range, 40 quarts
    2015 - 100 taps, 15 gallons
    2016 - 115 taps, 13.5 gallons
    2017 - 120 taps, 13 gallons
    2018 - 130 taps, 11 gallons

+ Reply to Thread