+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sap head tank lids?

Basically you want it tight enough to keep anything out but not sealed so much that it creates a vacuum as the sap level goes down causing flow issues to the evaporator.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

I guess we don't have issues with things getting in ,we keep our place clean though. I like a space between the lid to keep the warm air rising out.
    Fred Ahrens
    330-206-1606
    Richards Ohio Maple Equipment
    Ohio CDL sales rep
    LaPierre Dealer
    H&M maple fabricator Dealer
    Service Tech/repair for all brands and electronics

don't take life too serious, nobody gets out alive anyways!

I too have stainless lids for float boxes and syrup pan that I had Smoky Lake make up for me last year. They're nice - float boxes are covered all the time, syrup pan when I shut down. You may give Smoky Lake a call to see if they can make something up for you. As I recall; the price was reasonable and they're light enough that shipping was minimal.

As far as venting goes...I can see how a flat lid could restrict flow out of the tank, but a side entry for hose should allow enough air in to negate that.
    Poke a hole in a bucket, fill it with water, let it drain and then see what happens when you set a piece of cardboard on top - will it slow down?
    If you're running concentrate that's heated and may sit for awhile...that becomes a different story.
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

I had Smoky Lake make covers for my pans, but I didn't even think about my float boxes. I will check with him for the tank as well.
    2016 - 2 x 4 Randy Worthen built arch and pans 11 taps; 2.625 gallons of syrup!
    2017 - 29 taps; 11.625 gallons of syrup!
    2018 - 30 taps; 98 pints bottled! New sugar house being built, new equipment coming!
    2019 - 125 taps; 50 gallons made! New 2x6 Smoky Lake Corsair arch, drop flue pan, auto draw. Smoky Lake filter press and Steam Bottler
    2020 - 173 taps; only 35 gallons made.
    2021 - 242 taps; New record! 50.5 gallons made!
    2022 - 321 taps; New record! 80 gallons made!

Haynes Forest Products Guest

I have covers for my finish pans and all bulk tanks not my floats BUT I did have Jim make me up one for my CDL RO wash tank. Its nice and tight..................TO TIGHT I forgot to compensate for the bends when giving him my measurements. But it drains just fine.
    Last edited by Haynes Forest Products; 10-17-2018 at 08:58 AM.

I have a tight lid on my head tank, but it does not restrict air from getting in. It was not made by Smoky Lake. It just takes a good grip at 2 corners to get it up.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12