+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Clear check valve spout

Default Clear check valve spout

Getting back in the business and looking at the check valve spouts. Because of the sparsity of my maple trees I will be running tubing off the spout into 5 gallon bucket's. Will the check valve sprouts make a difference in this scenario?

Haynes Forest Products Guest

One of the dangers of running tubing into buckets is if they hang down into the bucket to far into the sap at cool down and freeze up is the suck back of sap back into the tree. In that scenario yes they will help.

As far as buckets go with tubing you can just use the seasonal spouts and use new tubing each year. As far as sucking back out of the bucket goes, do not push the tubing very far into the bucket.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 dropflu pans and hoods on homemade arch
    Smoky Lake 6 gallon water jacked bottler
    Concentric Exhaust
    250 Deer Run RO
    325 taps

Also use 5/16 tubing, in that size tubing the air can pass the sap, in 3/16 it will not pass the sap. Even with a CV spout that can help later in the season if the check ball gets sticky.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread