+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Maple candy

Default Maple candy

I tried to make candy for the first time,not good. The candy did not set up in the molds,it is tacky when I touch it.I have left it over night at room temp. My question is how do I get it out of the molds ? What do you think I did wrong? I heated to 240,let it cool to about 180,then I stirred it about 5min. poured into the molds. Any suggestions.

My guess is you didn't get quite Hot enough, I always go to 241 min, on more Humid days I might go as high as 245, I always let it cool to 165-170 before I stir, it's also possible that you didn't stir it long enough because the syrup wasn't quite cool enough when you started. Best way I've found to get a mess like that out of the mold is to leave it soaking in water, I've tried freezing them and it still won't come out.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

Take it to 246 , then put it in a cool bath AND start stirring right away. When it looks "grainy" and milky, pour in a mold. We put a fan on right away. Set for an hour then start popping out
    Fred Ahrens
    330-206-1606
    Richards Ohio Maple Equipment
    Ohio CDL sales rep
    LaPierre Dealer
    H&M maple fabricator Dealer
    Service Tech/repair for all brands and electronics

don't take life too serious, nobody gets out alive anyways!

It’s one of two problems or could be a little of both. Either the invert sugar level was to high or the boiling point was to low. Invert sugars don’t crystallize well and prevent the sugar from solidifying. The only way to know for sure if the invert level was the problem is to measure it. Requires a 10 to 1 dilution of syrup in water and a glucometer. The Cornell confections Manual by Steve Childs explains it in detail. The type of syrup you use can give you a clue about the invert level, but it’s not necessarily definitive. Did you use early season light syrup? If so was it made from fresh sap that hadn’t set around to long? If so it’s likely the invert was low, which is what you want. As for the temp, 32 above the boiling point of water is the generally accepted number when using a Sipple machine and I would think it would be the same when doing it by hand. If it’s humid try going a little higher. Good luck.

Randy

Toad Hill Maple Farm

http://ToadHillMaple.com/

3650 Taps on Vacuum for 2010 & still expanding
    56'x64' Timberframe Sugarhouse - New for 2011
    3x10 Leader Vortex w/ Max Flue Pan & SteamAway
    1000 gph Leader Springtech RO
    777 Acres in the Adirondack Mountains

Thanks for the replies,I tried the freezing method did not work. When soaking in water do I want it warm or cool?

Hot water works better. Let it sit over night and it will rinse out easily, but before you do, scoop out as much of the taffy as you can with a spoon. You can add that missed batch to your next one.
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

I would be careful about adding this batch into the next one unless you know for a fact that the syrup was low in invert sugars and that this batch wasn't grainy. If what you have is grainy then adding it to the next batch will be sure to make it grainy also.

Randy

Toad Hill Maple Farm

http://ToadHillMaple.com/

3650 Taps on Vacuum for 2010 & still expanding
    56'x64' Timberframe Sugarhouse - New for 2011
    3x10 Leader Vortex w/ Max Flue Pan & SteamAway
    1000 gph Leader Springtech RO
    777 Acres in the Adirondack Mountains

+ Reply to Thread