+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chinese RO membranes

Haynes Forest Products Guest

Speaking from experience when it comes to Tech support on your RO. Them BANK your unit shuts down and you don't know why that is when your dealer/supplier is your savior. So you make the call and and while they are on the phone another wagon full of sap pulls up. He has you do a few things and adjust a few valves and it will turn on and then shut back down. You answer all his questions the best you can until he asks you the last time YOU had your membrane professionally cleaned? That's when you tell him you didn't and got some after market membranes. Now How much time do you think he should spend trying to get your machine up and running after that?

I put the plug in mine and got distracted and put it in the housing upside down................ When I made the call to CDL within a few seconds of conversation with Kellan he told me what was wrong and I was back to work. I can't tell you NOT to buy them but I can tell you that when I sit down after hours with the guys that sell equipment it drives them batty fielding questions all day long from guys that picked up a used RO cheap and then want them to get it going over the phone.

Every year when I finally have sap in the tanks and the RO is all shined up and the lights come on I still feel like the day I watched the first space shuttle clear the launch pad and make into space.

So i think the theme and advice is..purchase where you have support when something goes wrong. That goes for any maple equipment. Take the time to develop a relationship with a dealer or mfr and go from there. The time they pick up the phone when the sh#t hits the fan is priceless. Think about it, how many of us go to the same diner or coffee window because the waitress or cashier knows what we want????? Customer service...sometimes considered a lost art but great when you find it again
    CDL 2x8
    Around 4000 taps
    Polaris ATVs, Ski Doo snowmobiles to get around
    Atlas Copco pumps
    Lapierre two post RO

http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/j...Sugar%20shack/

Has anyone who replied to this thread actually taken time to read the OP’s question before going on rants about you should only by from a Maple Dealer? The OP asked if anyone had bought Chinese membranes and how they worked. He also stated in post #8 that he only has 35 taps. Very unlikely he is going to be buying a Maple equipment RO. There are lots of threads on Maple Trader on people making home built RO’s very successfully. For his quantity of taps, a small home built RO would be the way to go and not be in any danger of hurting sales of a Maple Equipment supplier.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

I have to say I agree with BAP. the first response seemed pretty rude and everyone else is just taking about him calling for support and yada yada. I know a lot of people on here are dealers and probably have to deal with idiots but all he asked was if anyone tried the membranes and it doesn't sound like anyone has.
    Jake
    smoky lake 2x6 drop flue SSR on homemade arch
    235 taps on 2 gast 1550s and lappiere releasers
    24x12 sugar house
    2019 Kubota L2501 work horse

Quote Originally Posted by raptorfan85 View Post
    I have to say I agree with BAP. the first response seemed pretty rude and everyone else is just taking about him calling for support and yada yada. I know a lot of people on here are dealers and probably have to deal with idiots but all he asked was if anyone tried the membranes and it doesn't sound like anyone has.

Quote Originally Posted by BAP View Post
    Has anyone who replied to this thread actually taken time to read the OP’s question before going on rants about you should only by from a Maple Dealer? The OP asked if anyone had bought Chinese membranes and how they worked...
    Quote Originally Posted by crowellsr View Post
    Has anyone tried the Chinese ro membranes that are available on Ebay? Are they any good?
    Steve
    There was more to Steve's question than Chinese membranes, it included purchasing from EBay... I agree everyone missed the China part and homed in on EBay.
    Blunt?..maybe; but most were offering up pretty valid advice for purchasing from a local source - in the event he should need help or service - as opposed to buying there. A membrane is not a stand-alone item, such as a piece of hose, a valve or some insulation board, but part of a fairly complicated piece of equipment.

I don't see the need to get agitated. Advising a newer member that buying locally will serve him/her better in the long run, as their operation grows, is great advice. The merits of Chinese membranes - good or bad - have not been addressed yet on this thread. My 2¢.
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

Quote Originally Posted by johnallin View Post
    There was more to Steve's question than Chinese membranes, it included purchasing from EBay... I agree everyone missed the China part and homed in on EBay.
    Blunt?..maybe; but most were offering up pretty valid advice for purchasing from a local source - in the event he should need help or service - as opposed to buying there. A membrane is not a stand-alone item, such as a piece of hose, a valve or some insulation board, but part of a fairly complicated piece of equipment.

I don't see the need to get agitated. Advising a newer member that buying locally will serve him/her better in the long run, as their operation grows, is great advice. The merits of Chinese membranes - good or bad - have not been addressed yet on this thread. My 2¢.
    I would like to know what local dealer sells RO’s and membranes for someone with 35 taps? I will bet it is an EXTREMELY small or NONEXISTENT list.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

I would like to know what local dealer sells RO’s and membranes for someone with 35 taps? I will bet it is an EXTREMELY small or NONEXISTENT list.
    At least 15 in N E Ohio alone that would have what he needs. And BAP let me apologize for your butthurt, that wasn't meant to degrade anyone. For those that know me, which is a lot on here, I don't beat around the bush or blow smoke. I give advise that is beneficial to the individual as practical and financially sound in the long run. The margin of profit as a dealer is less than 5% so don't pull the I just want to sell more stuff line. I don't care if I sell anything!! My phone is on 24/7 year round because that's what it takes for a producer in a jam. Im a wholesale and retail distributor and am currently 30% over the bulk rates nationally because I support the producer. Have a blessed day !!
    Fred Ahrens
    330-206-1606
    Richards Ohio Maple Equipment
    Ohio CDL sales rep
    LaPierre Dealer
    H&M maple fabricator Dealer
    Service Tech/repair for all brands and electronics

don't take life too serious, nobody gets out alive anyways!

I Think If I was doing 35 taps and wanted an RO I would consider one of those RO buckets, the guy that makes them has sold enough of them he should have it pretty much down to a science and walk you through how to use it. I guess I dont know what it would cost to build your own small RO, but for what those buckets go for and what it will save you in time I think there reasonable.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

Has anyone who replied to this thread actually taken time to read the OP’s question before going on rants about you should only by from a Maple Dealer? The OP asked if anyone had bought Chinese membranes and how they worked. He also stated in post #8 that he only has 35 taps. Very unlikely he is going to be buying a Maple equipment RO. There are lots of threads on Maple Trader on people making home built RO’s very successfully. For his quantity of taps, a small home built RO would be the way to go and not be in any danger of hurting sales of a Maple Equipment supplier.
    Sorry BAP. Not sure what rant you are talking about but I sure wish someone would of given me the service advice before I bought RO filters from a RO company that new nothing about maple. Oh and by the way those cartridges were tapped not fiberglass woven, needed adaptors and then needed the stems trimmed to fit the machines.

As far as your 35 tap count comment, yes I read his tap count, but I forgot we are all at the same number of taps we started with when we started sugaring.
    CDL 2x8
    Around 4000 taps
    Polaris ATVs, Ski Doo snowmobiles to get around
    Atlas Copco pumps
    Lapierre two post RO

http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/j...Sugar%20shack/

Haynes Forest Products Guest

BAP once again you added nothing to the OP conversation but DID take the time to chastise all of us for our collective conversation.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast