+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 3/16 manifold with shurflo

Default 3/16 manifold with shurflo

Hi, I have been planning on doing a 3/16 system with a shurflo pump, was wondering if anyone would have a list of items that I would need to get all my lines together in a box with valves to shut off each lines to check for leaks. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did this a couple of years ago with a shurflo and it did work ,just thought it was a lot of hassle and worry when temps drop below 32 operating the pump on/off. As far as leaks go the bubbles tell the truth with leaks and and you can add a gauge at the top for a more accurate idea. I have a manifold I use ,pretty simple : i cut a 2" pvc pipe a foot long with a vent and a cap on the top and attach it to my sap tank at the lid ,mine has a 2" bung so its tight and drill about 1/4 " holes the tubing fits tight and also go around the pipe a wrap helps , I know the fit may leak on vac if it were used . I like being able to see each line coming in and will really tell you quick if a line is not running well. my two cents !!

Here is my manifold:

20181019_192543.jpg

Parts list
    6x 1/2 npt stainless close nipple
    7x 1/2 npt stainless T
    1x 1/2 npt ball valve
    6x 1/2 npt to 5/16 barb
    1x 1/2 npt plug (cap)
    1x Shurflo 4008 (pump)
    1x Shurflo strainer
    1x 90 degree 1/2 npt
    1x 1/2 npt to 1/2 barb (for exit of my shurflo pump)
    1x 1/2 npt to 1/8 npt (for my vacuum gauge)
    1x winter's 1/8 npt vacuum gauge

Regards,
    JP
    Last edited by JPGraphX2; 10-23-2018 at 10:43 AM.

very nice setup . If I try the shurflo again I will use the pump you have ,think mine was the 4048

jbfloors, JP's manifold it certainly nice, but if the cost of all of that SS is too much at this time, you can use PVC or nylon fittings. Just realize, SS is essentially for ever.
    If you have, borrow, rent or buy a pipe thread tap, maybe in 1/4 NPT thread you can make one by cutting a length of PVC pipe, drilling the pilot holes and tapping the 1/4" NPT threads, then get some adapters from a plumbing supply in brass to screw in to give you a 3/16 barbed fitting you could make one for a small fraction of all the SS. Then after you get some cash flow from syrup sales you could then build one out of SS.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I have used a star fitting as a manifold to connect multiple lines to the Shurflo. They come in with 3 to 6 fittings but only with 5/16 barbs so you need 3/16 to 5/16 adaptors if using 3/16 lines. Orient the fitting vertically so all lines receive the same amount of vacuum. Not sure if there is a cheap way to do individual valves per line but a pair of vice grips with protective tape on the jaws could be used to temporarily clamp off individual lines to isolate a line for leaks.

Dave
    Mountain Maple farm
    2022 NAMSC award winning dark amber syrup
    2023: 320 taps, 70% red maples. Mountain Maple S4 diaphragm pump controller with automated sap transfer and text messaging
    https://www.mountainmaplefarm.com
    https://www.facebook.com/MountainMapleFarm/

Quote Originally Posted by Jbfloors View Post
    Hi, I have been planning on doing a 3/16 system with a shurflo pump, was wondering if anyone would have a list of items that I would need to get all my lines together in a box with valves to shut off each lines to check for leaks. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Interesting thread. Curious how you ended up making out with this plan since the OP in 2018...
    Last edited by NhShaun; 11-22-2021 at 05:54 PM.
    6th season solo sugar maker in a young sugar bush of mostly red maples
    320 taps
    2x6 self built arch, Flat pans w/ dividers
    New 12x16 sugar house
    CDL hobby 250 RO

+ Reply to Thread