+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Buying a used filter press

Default Buying a used filter press

Decided i would start to shop for a used filter press. Want a 7 inch short bank based on the amount of syrup i will be producing. Is there anything specific i should look for? Does anything wear out on them? Again Thanks so much for any information

Haynes Forest Products Guest

The pump or motor are all that can really cause you problems. No my press is 16 yeaqrs old and going strong both motor and gear pump.

Look for a filter with aluminum plates. Some old presses still have cast iron plates, those take far longer to heat up. As stated above pumps and motors can wear out or fail. If there is a motor repair shop near you they can usually be fixed. If a gear pump wears out you could get a rebuild kit, but I strongly suggest you then switch to an air powered diaphragm pump rated for the hot syrup. Then you need a compressor, I use a little pancake compressor (I thought pancakes went well with maple) Mine is 2 hp, but I also have a .8 HP that I use to pump up bike tires for the grandkids and have even tried that on the diaphragm pump, even that ran the pump but a little slower. When filtering syrup if you are small, filter speed with a diaphragm pump does not matter, just start it and do something else while it pumps. It will be fine even if the tank you are pulling the syrup/ DE mixture from runs empty.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread