+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Red vs. Sugars on same lines?

Here in West Virginia the Reds will go buddy and ruin the syrup , I have one tree in my bush that always buds first so I keep and eye and pull my taps. I only have a few and am considering not even tapping them.The reds here are very stingy and the 3/16 will help make them run. Safety TIP ... watch out for the dead ash trees they are dead and limbs fall., I take my tractor bucket and place above me and a little pressure on the tree if I want it to go a certain way.

I guess I will stop segregating reds and sugars, and I will no longer remove the reds before the sap run is done. I sure hope you are all correct. I do have 2 or 3 silvers, I may just pull those taps when I see color on their buds.
    Fortunately, my bigger bush is all sugars.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Assuming your sugar bush is randomly intermixed between the two, it would seem to be a tubing nightmare to have laterals criss-crossing one another and wasteful if one sub-area was over represented by one species versus the other, and trying to keep the number of trees on one lateral within guidelines.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12