+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red vs. Sugars on same lines?

Default Red vs. Sugars on same lines?

Hello - I know that the red maple debate has been disproven a long time ago, but my question is more about running them on the same line (3/16) as the sugar maples. Since the red's bud out first is it better to run them on separate lines or does it really matter?
    2016 - 2 x 4 Randy Worthen built arch and pans 11 taps; 2.625 gallons of syrup!
    2017 - 29 taps; 11.625 gallons of syrup!
    2018 - 30 taps; 98 pints bottled! New sugar house being built, new equipment coming!
    2019 - 125 taps; 50 gallons made! New 2x6 Smoky Lake Corsair arch, drop flue pan, auto draw. Smoky Lake filter press and Steam Bottler
    2020 - 173 taps; only 35 gallons made.
    2021 - 242 taps; New record! 50.5 gallons made!
    2022 - 321 taps; New record! 80 gallons made!

Put them all on the same lines

I separate mine. It varies how much they but earlier year to year, but I remove the reds while I still get anywhere from 6-7 days more on the sugars on the short end, last year it was 20 days different. The 20 days was by far the longest between the 2 since 2003 when I started to make syrup commercially. I just like being able to quickly remove the reds from the lines. When I do that I just walk the mains, cut the lateral for the red lines and plug the section of the lateral that joins the main. Then when I have time after that I pull the taps. I know exactly which laterals are reds and around my sugarhouse it only takes me about 15-20 minutes to remove reds from the system. My taps at my lease are all sugars so there is no issue there.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I am 85% sugars so my random reds go on the same line

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    I separate mine. It varies how much they but earlier year to year, but I remove the reds while I still get anywhere from 6-7 days more on the sugars on the short end, last year it was 20 days different. The 20 days was by far the longest between the 2 since 2003 when I started to make syrup commercially. I just like being able to quickly remove the reds from the lines.
    Dave...What criteria do you use in deciding when to stop collecting sap from the reds?
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Most of my trees are reds so I mix them right in. I've never had a problem going until the end of the season with the reds still online. I always seem to run out of weather before the buds are a problem. Last season I went a week longer than some of the producers in my area that tap all sugars.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

I now use when the first buds open. I used to pull the reds when I saw color on the buds. Should I wait?
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Mix them all in, in my area we all stop at the same time, the reds never really get buddy they just stop running, and by that time we are so late in the season that the syrup is not of great quality so its not worth over thinking. Just my 2 cents

I guess one question to ask is has anyone gotten buddy syrup from reds? I know sugars will go buddy but reading on here over the years I do not recall anyone getting buddy syrup on reds. My memory is not always the best and I am not saying it does not happen but most say that they stop running before they go buddy.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 dropflu pans and hoods on homemade arch
    Smoky Lake 6 gallon water jacked bottler
    Concentric Exhaust
    250 Deer Run RO
    325 taps

I mix mine and have never had a problem. Sap stops from reds and sugars before buds open on reds.
    CDL 2x8
    Around 4000 taps
    Polaris ATVs, Ski Doo snowmobiles to get around
    Atlas Copco pumps
    Lapierre two post RO

http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/j...Sugar%20shack/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast