+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Deer Run 250 membrane storage and acid wash

Default Deer Run 250 membrane storage and acid wash

Great weekend so far. Just picked up a used Deer Run 250 ro from a gentleman that lived Just north of me. Now i have some questions. Store the membranes in the unit or in canisters out side the unit (he Had them stored in Pvc canisters but he set it up to show me it worked so the membranes are currently in the unit.). Next question is the acid wash. How much citric acid powder do you use? He also gave me some PH powder and not sure what that is for. Any info You could give would be awesome. I did get the hand written manual from the seller but as You that have it know there is a lot of references to 'per manufacturer instructions'. Again thank you for any insite

John

John,
    I live in Gaylord and also have a Deer Run 250. I have copies of the original owner's manual and Dave Klish's rewrite of it. If you want to come up and get them, maybe I can answer any other questions you might have on it and ideas for your setup plan. As for leaving the membranes in the unit, I have never taken them out. PM me and I will give you my phone number.
    Gary
    16' X 24' Sugarhouse
    2' X 6' Leader Inferno Arch with Revolution Raised-Flue Pans, Smoky Lake preheater and hood
    Deer Run Maple gas-powered 250 RO
    WesFab 7" filter press
    Kubota 1100 RTV with tracks and 125 gallon tank for transporting sap
    800 taps on gravity and vacuum
    Very supportive wife who is the best coworker
    http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...ing-Sugarhouse

Gary. PM sent

John,
    Congratulations, once you become comfortable using your RO you will wonder how you ever did without one.
    I no longer have the original manual, but if you send me your email address I will send you my rewrite. Originally I made a rewrite up by just reading each hand written sentence and putting it into my computer, just correcting a bunch of grammatical errors and putting it into plain English. Then as questions came up from others I refined the manual to address areas that were either not covered or were confusing. Then a year or so ago, I added a section that was totally mine, explaining how I run my Deer Run R.O. Before I did that I ran everything past Ray Gingerich, the manufacturer of Deer Run R.O.'s. In the manual all treatments will simply tell you to follow the product container. It refers to Leader Chemicals and the container will give amounts in reference to how many 8" membranes you have. To convert that to 4" membranes just divide by 4, thus if you have 2@4"x40 like in a 250 you divide it by 2. In my manual I made up a table of contents to help you locate the section you need faster.
    If you or anyone else want a copy of the manual, send an email to:
    dave@cnymaple.com
    and I'll send you a copy. It is in MS Word, you must be able to read that or convert it to something you can read.
    From time to time I will make new additions to ammend all previous editions, as new questions or concerns come up.
    As far as storage it is up to you. I actually have 4 membranes (a spare set, just in case), 2 are in the RO, 2 are in PVC vessels. If you keep them in the RO, use preservative and keep the RO from freezing. Drain all parts except the vessels. If you decide to store them in PVC canisters, they still need to be filled with preservative, the membranes must never be allowed to dry out. Then drain the RO completely and place the canisters with the membranes in a cool dry area.
    Last edited by maple flats; 10-07-2018 at 08:18 AM.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Hey Dave,

I stumbled across a Deer Run thread on the other site and saw that people were draining and flushing the preservative from the lines and pumps without draining the membranes. I haven't been doing this. I've drained and rinsed the wash tank, but thats it. I'm going to PM you my email to get your updated version of the manual and see how you are doing this, but thought I'd mention the topic on this site so it gets to more people.

Sean
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

I just added one point to the manual. Drain and change the oil in the high pressure pump yearly.
    When I put mine to bed, once I have the preservative in the membranes, I close both needle valves and then drain the wash tank (and rinse it) plus I drain the HP pump. just remove the plug in the bottom of the line of fittings at the bottom.
    Membranes can also be stored in a canister and stored where they will not freeze. If you store them in the RO, be sure to keep them from freezing.
    Dave
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread