+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to infuse cinnamon into syrup?

Default How to infuse cinnamon into syrup?

Hi,
    For my 1st attempt to make infused syrup, I dropped a cinnamon stick into each 8oz bottle, then filled with hot (185 F) syrup. Capped off and done. Some months later there is a slight "growth" clinging to the cin stick. The syrup is clear and tastes great.

I'm wondering if there's a formula/ratio/ recipe to follow to infuse the syrup while heating it up to bottle then remove the cinnamon sticks so the product has the flavor but not the stick.

Thanks in advance

ps-**** maple bug bit me in the tail end of August and I visit the trees almost daily!
    12 taps for 2009.
    30+ for 2010.
    30+ for 2011.
    2012- Still holding around 30+ with no help in sight.
    2013-Still a loner but what a Fantastic yielding year
    2014- Forever a loner
    2017-Still here, after trying to kick the habit.
    Down to 15-20 taps with the intent to save my marriage.

Sap Haulers- Kids NADA, I tried but I'm on my own.
    Buckets and Sap Saks, 4 steam pans, Block Evaporator, and single burner propane for finishing.

http://s778.photobucket.com/home/Valleyman_bucket

I just found this quote from Tim Perkins -Years ago we worked with someone on some issues they had when developing infused products. An issue is that on occasion, the very fine particles of the infusion serve as nucleation sites for sugar crystals. You end up with a lot of fine deposits (sugar or the infused substance) in the bottom of the bottle. Other types of mixtures/infusions can cause denaturing of the color bodies in syrup and create a sludge or fine film of material in the bottle. Either way, not visually appealing. Unfortunately the problems, if encountered, aren't always easily solved.

Hmm...
    12 taps for 2009.
    30+ for 2010.
    30+ for 2011.
    2012- Still holding around 30+ with no help in sight.
    2013-Still a loner but what a Fantastic yielding year
    2014- Forever a loner
    2017-Still here, after trying to kick the habit.
    Down to 15-20 taps with the intent to save my marriage.

Sap Haulers- Kids NADA, I tried but I'm on my own.
    Buckets and Sap Saks, 4 steam pans, Block Evaporator, and single burner propane for finishing.

http://s778.photobucket.com/home/Valleyman_bucket

Haynes Forest Products Guest

I started using a whole stick in a pint of syrup and felt it was a little strong. I cut them in half and like the outcome. I don't remove the stick until its opened for use. As far as the color change I never thought it mattered. I haven't noticed crystal build up in the infused bottles.

For smaller than quart, I will bottle in 1/2 gallon mason jars with 1 stick and leave it for a few months. When I need to bottle smaller bottles I dump the 1/2 gallons into the canner and if a little too strong of cinnamon I will add regular syrup to even out the flavor. I do this to stay consistent with the flavor no matter how long it is bottled.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 dropflu pans and hoods on homemade arch
    Smoky Lake 6 gallon water jacked bottler
    Concentric Exhaust
    250 Deer Run RO
    325 taps

I'm not sure we're allowed to sell anything like that in New York State without getting into a whole new level of regulation. That said, I'm putting a stick into tall decorative bottles to be given away to my members and friends, and they don't stay around long enough to grow crystals.

Haynes Forest Products Guest

Michael most of the people I give it to refer to it as Crack they cant get enough. Some like it strong some like it mild but they will buy it just the same.

+ Reply to Thread