+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help me with a home built RO thanks!

Default Please help me with a home built RO thanks!

I have been gathering up items for a simple home built RO. My current tap count has been around 1,000. My evaporator will process @ 180+ GPH. I work a day job and would like to shorten my long evenings and Saturdays... I am not looking for high concentrate, just interested in saving some time and wood without breaking the bank. I have a 230VAC 1-1/2 HP motor and plan to couple up a 330 GPH procon pump to it. It will have a pre filter, feed pump, low pressure switch and high pressure switch, contactor controls, flow meters etc. I plan to use 2 4"x40" vessels and membranes plumbed up in parallel. Can I run this to remove @ 50% of the water in one pass and if so what could I expect performance wise per hour? I admit that I don't think very well in RO terminology. So if you have figures for me please say this much water removed per hour. Maybe I need some suggestions also and my setup could use some critique. My goal would be to start concentrating several hours before boiling and continue to concentrate while boiling and use up all of the sap on hand that day. Also a suggestion on sourcing 2 decent membranes would be a help too. Thanks for your help!!!

You might get close to 50% removal, my bare bones RO with a 2 HP motor gets 70-75% removal when run at 275 PSI and does it at about 250 GPH raw sap. Mine is plumbed in series with 2 membranes 4x40".
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

As far as membranes go, people have had really good luck buying them from MES, Maple Expert Solutions.
    https://www.mapleexperts.com/supplie...gory=Membranes
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

I would advise you to talk to Frank at MES , we have been very satisfied with membranes from them.

Quote Originally Posted by john henry View Post
    I have been gathering up items for a simple home built RO. My current tap count has been around 1,000. My evaporator will process @ 180+ GPH. I work a day job and would like to shorten my long evenings and Saturdays... I am not looking for high concentrate, just interested in saving some time and wood without breaking the bank. I have a 230VAC 1-1/2 HP motor and plan to couple up a 330 GPH procon pump to it. It will have a pre filter, feed pump, low pressure switch and high pressure switch, contactor controls, flow meters etc. I plan to use 2 4"x40" vessels and membranes plumbed up in parallel. Can I run this to remove @ 50% of the water in one pass and if so what could I expect performance wise per hour? I admit that I don't think very well in RO terminology. So if you have figures for me please say this much water removed per hour. Maybe I need some suggestions also and my setup could use some critique. My goal would be to start concentrating several hours before boiling and continue to concentrate while boiling and use up all of the sap on hand that day. Also a suggestion on sourcing 2 decent membranes would be a help too. Thanks for your help!!!
    Hi John i tried to send you a PM but i have a lot of time spent researching and figuring out how i would build one, and also have a bunch of parts from this.

Chase family - thanks for your reply I think I am set up to receive private messages now.

Your membranes are the slowest part of the process. What ever your membranes process in 24 hrs is what you will get.

I am also starting the ro journey. I'm also a ro moron. I can build anything so I plan to build a unit. I under stand hoo they work but don't have a clue what to get for the build or what that component does. Is there anyone who has a list of what is required to build a system. I'm looking to process no more than 500 taps worth in a 8 hr day.

Search this site, at least one thread has been posted with a complete list of components they used.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    Search this site, at least one thread has been posted with a complete list of components they used.
    complete parts list here...https://sites.google.com/view/mattat...ts-list-for-ro

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast