+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 handed tool suggestions

Default 2 handed tool suggestions

I'm new this year to tubing and looking to buy a tubing tool. My thoughts are to purchase a 2 handed tool with a cutter. Just looking for advice on where to purchase a quality piece of equipment for a fair price. Thanks.

Any maple supply house will have a good 2 handed tool. I built mine for $50
    Steve

2x8 Mason drop tube evaporator
    420 Taps
    3 surflo pumps on 5/16
    79 gallons of syrup made
    New kitchen addition to sap house
    400 taps
    52 gallons syrup made

psparr (member on here) makes them for quite a bit less than the big manufacturers. I bought one 2 years ago and it works good. Send him a PM and do search on here for some pics of his work.

Haynes Forest Products Guest

Make sure the ones you buy have REAL Vice Grips and not some cheap bargain bin ones. Add wing nuts to the thumb screws so you can find a happy place setting and secure it. Then weld on another 12" to the handles. I had a guy make mine for me and they work great.

If you get one with a cutter I would advise removing it. Everyone I know that has used one ends up cutting themselves and sometimes quite bad.

Randy

Toad Hill Maple Farm

http://ToadHillMaple.com/

3650 Taps on Vacuum for 2010 & still expanding
    56'x64' Timberframe Sugarhouse - New for 2011
    3x10 Leader Vortex w/ Max Flue Pan & SteamAway
    1000 gph Leader Springtech RO
    777 Acres in the Adirondack Mountains

i would suggest an aluminum LOAC tool. they are higher priced, but weight much less, and the way the cutter is configured it makes it difficult to cut yourself with it
    Jake Moser
    Moser's Maple

2 beautiful little girls
    1 wife that's become her mother

www.facebook.com/mosersmaple

I'm with Jake on that. I've had 4 sets of 2 hand tools over the years, and finally bought a LOAC a year ago. It is far better, easier to use, far more leverage, safer, lighter to carry and if cared for properly will last as long as you do maple. However, if you get a conventional one, as said above, remove the cutter and use a hand held cutter. With the original set I had I used the cutter in year 1, cut myself 2-3 times and then removed the blade. On the LOAC I use and like the blade design and safety.
    Shop around, LOAC prices are not all the same, I got mine from Heritage Maple, an Amish dealer near me for $185 a year ago. He has no website but does have a dealer listing in this forum, he is in Canastota, NY and has a phone. If no answer, leave a message, he does return calls.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Haynes Forest Products Guest

Plus keeping the cutter sharp is a must or you will be fighting raggedy cut that make tube insertion a PITA.

Correction, old age did my memory in, I just found the LOAC receipt, I paid $285 not 185. Sorry for the error. I actually had a $100 credit there which brought it down to the 185, but $285 was the price.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Alright guys, maybe a dumb question but whats a LOAC tool?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast