+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My design of arch. Look ok?

So instead of a 8 inch round pipe would I be better off with 6x11 base stack? Or a 3.5x18 tapered stack? If I’m understanding this right you want a wide opening so smoke and heat travel under whole width of pan instead of traveling to the middle of a 8 inch pipe.

Yes that's what you want. You want the draft to pull the entire width of the pan, so the wider base stack is much better than going right into the 8 inch pipe. Without a wide base stack all the draft will pull the heat and smoke to the middle and the back corners of your pan won't boil well. When I built my evap I ended up buying a commercial stainless base stack. It was money well spent.
    Jake
    smoky lake 2x6 drop flue SSR on homemade arch
    235 taps on 2 gast 1550s and lappiere releasers
    24x12 sugar house
    2019 Kubota L2501 work horse

Yes, but go with a 20" or even a 22" wide x 4 or 5" then taper to the 8".
    On my commercial made 3' wide arch it has a 33" wide base stack x 7" then it tapers in 6' length to a 12" round pipe. That gives you a draw over the entire width of the arch.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Thanks for all your great advise

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12