+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What should I look for in a used milk tank

Default What should I look for in a used milk tank

I will be looking at a used milk bulk tank this week to use as sap storage, non vac, non refrigerated. This will be my first time inspecting a tank. Other than the obvious what are somethings I should look for so I don't end up making repairs to it? There is a small amount of cosmetic damage to the exterior but that is all I can see in the pictures.

I am also looking at a Wes Fab filter press.

Whatever advice you can share is greatly appreciated.
    2022 - 157 taps, 40 gallons of syrup
    2021 - 171 taps buckets and tubing, 41 gallons of syrup
    2020 - 225 taps bags and tubing, 45 gallons of syrup
    2019 - 180 taps buckets and bags, 50 gallons of syrup
    Lapierre 2x8 Vision with reverse flow, hood & preheater
    Leader Micro2 RO
    Lapierre 10" short bank press

The obvious: size, no leaks, etc...
    How is it mounted to where it currently is? Are the feet concreted in and you need to either cut the feet or chip out the concrete? Will you have the ability to move/haul it? How will you install it at your location? Can it be removed from current location without removing a wall, is that wall wood or block? Weight? What fitting type is the outlet? Does a valve (working) come with it? Are all of the seals there and in good shape (if you are putting it outside)?
    Matt,
    Minehart Gap Maple

Does it have the cover(s)? You can make covers but never are they as good as the originals.
    Last edited by maple flats; 09-23-2018 at 07:53 AM.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Agreed Dave. I'm in the middle of dealing with that right now but it didn't even cross my mind to mention it.
    Matt,
    Minehart Gap Maple

Haynes Forest Products Guest

I have 4 dairy tanks and have sold or given away many others and had one stolen. I have never had to repair one. They can have plenty of outer skin damage and never suffer an interior problem. Covers are a must but but they can be a PITA if you constantly opening the lid. I used a glass cover off a cheap skillet and it was nice because you could see thru it.

Make sure it will fit your needs and don't build your shack around it if your growing. Westfab is a good press if you like the price and size do it.

I have never had one leak either and most people selling the tanks are honest people. Although external skin cosmetic damage certainly doesn't affect the integrity of the inside tank you may need to think about where you are putting the tank. If its going out in the middle of the woods it probably isnt as much a concern as if you were putting it in or next to the sugar house especially if you were thinking of participating in Open houses or the like in the future. Perception is everything and people are turned off by dirty sugar houses and beat up damaged equipment. Plan a little for the future will save you some headaches. Lids are almost a must as others have said and make sure to check the outside drain. If the tank has been dropped or manhandled before that is usually the part of the tank to absorb the fall first since it sticks out

good luck
    CDL 2x8
    Around 4000 taps
    Polaris ATVs, Ski Doo snowmobiles to get around
    Atlas Copco pumps
    Lapierre two post RO

http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/j...Sugar%20shack/

Thanks for all of the advice on this topic I really do appreciate the insight that is shared on the forum and the patience for some basic questions.
    I'm headed to take a look at this tank this morning and also to pick up a Wes Fab short bank filter press. If everything goes as planned this will be a huge step forward in my fledgling operation.

syrup16.jpgsyrup18.jpgwesfab.jpg
    2022 - 157 taps, 40 gallons of syrup
    2021 - 171 taps buckets and tubing, 41 gallons of syrup
    2020 - 225 taps bags and tubing, 45 gallons of syrup
    2019 - 180 taps buckets and bags, 50 gallons of syrup
    Lapierre 2x8 Vision with reverse flow, hood & preheater
    Leader Micro2 RO
    Lapierre 10" short bank press

Looks good, the valve looks to be similar to a ball valve but made to take apart to clean. If shutting while you have liquid in the tank you will have liquid inside the valve and may freeze and cause problems. They are a standard take apart to clean valve in the dairy industry.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 dropflu pans and hoods on homemade arch
    Smoky Lake 6 gallon water jacked bottler
    Concentric Exhaust
    250 Deer Run RO
    325 taps

Quote Originally Posted by Super Sapper View Post
    If shutting while you have liquid in the tank you will have liquid inside the valve and may freeze and cause problems.
    I have the same valve on my 400 gallons woods tank. It is a low profile tank so I am able to reach in and put a food grade rubber stopper on the inside of the drain hole and open the valve to clear it out, preventing it from freezing.
    Noel Good
    1998 to 2009: 15 taps on buckets, scavenged fire pit and pans
    2010: New 2x4 SS flat pan w/preheater
    2015: New to me Lapierre 18x60 raised flue, new shack, new everything!! 59 taps 23.75 gallons
    2016: 85 taps 19 gallons
    2017: Purchased 2.5 acres and tubed half with 3/16. 145 taps total 49.25 gallons
    2018: 200 taps (162 on 3/16ths 38 on buckets) New NextGen RO 63 gallons
    2019: 210 taps 73.5 gallons
    2023: 210 taps 89.75 gallons
    www.wnybass.com

Haynes Forest Products Guest

I also have the same type of valve on one of my field tanks. If you decide to keep it I would take it appart and clean it up with a scrub pad and then lightly grease it. I also will also loosen the screw knob/nut and open and close it. Mine leaks if I don't give it a smack on the handle side right square in the center with a hammer and then give the knob a little help with pliers. I have never had it crack or freeze but then again I shut the valve when the tank is empty so the inside is free of liquid.

NICE looking upgrades you will never regret getting that tank.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast