+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Used Tapping Bit

Default Looking for Used Tapping Bit

I just put up an ad in classifieds looking for a used 5/16" bit. Not sure how many people are checking classifieds in Sept. though. If anyone has one they could spare, please check out my listing in classifieds. Thanks!
    More taps than the year before. Bigger shack than the year before. Leader Patriot 2x6 w/hood. 3-post Dolly, but still too much sap and not enough wood or time.
    www.wickedsappy.com

I'm really into my drill bits, And curious what makes a bit special for tapping trees? Also curious why you would want a used one?

Haynes Forest Products Guest

Pete anytime you could potentially pick up a piece of maple equipment for 1/2 price how could you pass that up?

Haynes, I can't tell if you are tongue in cheek or serious. But really, what makes the bit special? I'm as cheap as the next guy, but tend not to buy used drill bits if they are small diameter- harder to sharpen and cheap to buy. We are talking about 5/16" and 7/16" sizes.

And I take my drill bits very seriously. I have over $1000 of drill bits- not a joke. And have at times changed the tip angle to accomplish different tasks.

Pete

Default Looking for Used Tapping Bit

Quote Originally Posted by crzypete View Post
    Haynes, I can't tell if you are tongue in cheek or serious. But really, what makes the bit special? I'm as cheap as the next guy, but tend not to buy used drill bits if they are free small diameter- harder to sharpen and cheap to buy. We are talking about 5/16" and 7/16" sizes.

And I take my drill bits very seriously. I have over $1000 of drill bits- not a joke. And have at times changed the tip angle to accomplish different tasks.

Pete
    I am about the cheapest guy on he planet, broke down after a few years and bought one. Would never go back.

With a standard drill bit you are pushing the drill. With a tapping bit, you are hoping it doesn’t go through the tree. And you can’t appreciate why I’m saying without trying it yourself.
    first year 2012 50 taps late season made 2 1/2 gals.

2013 2x6 homemade arch 180 taps. 20 Gals.

2014 40 on 3/16 gravity 160 on buckets.

http://omasranch.wix.com/omasmaple

Quote Originally Posted by crzypete View Post
    Haynes, I can't tell if you are tongue in cheek or serious. But really, what makes the bit special? I'm as cheap as the next guy, but tend not to buy used drill bits if they are small diameter- harder to sharpen and cheap to buy. We are talking about 5/16" and 7/16" sizes.

Pete
    Tapping bits have a point angle suited for wood cutting and the flute edges are sharpened to clean the hole of shavings or loose fibers on the edge of the hole. The bits are made from HSS / machine tool steel so they get sharper and stay sharp even when cutting thru bark and frozen wood.

A tapping bit really is worth the 12-20 bucks they cost. That and it saves you from having to grind a new point into a good machinist bit from your inventory.
    2017 25 taps on buckets got me hooked 1 gallon of sweet
    2018 51 taps on 3/16 tubing/ DIY oil tank evaporator 8.5gallons finished
    2019 60 taps 7 gallons finished ended season short
    2020 New 2x4 divided pan ready to get away from the headache that is steam table pans
    2021 off year due to pandemic and projects
    2022 back at it

If you ever find yourself in Chatham NH I'll gladly give you a used bit, If I can find one. But honestly it would be cheaper to order one from bascom, the can probably mail it to you for Penny's.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

Blueberry, why a "used" tapping bit?
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by Cjadamec View Post
    Tapping bits have a point angle suited for wood cutting and the flute edges are sharpened to clean the hole of shavings or loose fibers on the edge of the hole. The bits are made from HSS / machine tool steel so they get sharper and stay sharp even when cutting thru bark and frozen wood.
    First time I've seen a good explanation of a "Tapping Bit" Our tool room at work had a guy that did sharpening / repairing of all their tooling and he would make special bits and tools that worked better on special jobs or metals. It really did make a difference using those special tools. One thing to mention though it all drill bits can be re sharpened just like new and for larger bits its cost effective. Even for a tapping bit???? Jay
    Zucker Lager

Thanks for the explanation. Pointier drills do drill better. In fact, standard drill bits- 118º tip are pretty bad at most everything. They are a sad compromise that can work wood or metal and are what is sold as general purpose bits. I prefer 135º bits with a split point for working metal, and have often ground steeper angles onto bits to drill wood.

Pete

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast