+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: granulated sugar

Default granulated sugar

the last couple of weeks making sugar has been a challenge. high humidity and rainy days, im guessing, are causing the sugar to cake instead of granulate. we are working off of the same 1000 gallon tank of dark robust. worked perfect before now not so much. ive tried 250-260 degrees , everything in between. one batch is fine the next is gumballs. we try to watch the humidity and adjust temp but its so spiratic. we use a steam kettle , then a big hobart mixer. thinking about a cdl sugar machine. anyone have/use one? or other suggestions
    Fred Ahrens
    330-206-1606
    Richards Ohio Maple Equipment
    Ohio CDL sales rep
    LaPierre Dealer
    H&M maple fabricator Dealer
    Service Tech/repair for all brands and electronics

don't take life too serious, nobody gets out alive anyways!

We use 265
    3,100 taps
    60 cfm flood
    HC2
    5 by 14 oil

Brian

I was just going to post about this as well so good timing! I'll try the 265 number.

I also wanted to ask and see what folks use to deal with clumps of sugar. After I sift my sugar I find clumps of sugar "balls" that break apart when you squeeze them. I also have hard pieces that I throw back in the batch but I'm looking for a more efficient way of dealing with the soft pieces. Right now I "mash" those pieces but I'm wondering if there is a better way.
    About 300 taps
    2'x6' air tight arch
    Semi complete 12'x24' sugarhouse in Somers, CT
    My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/CapturedNature
    My eBook: Making Maple Syrup in your Backyard

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    the last couple of weeks making sugar has been a challenge. high humidity and rainy days, im guessing, are causing the sugar to cake instead of granulate. we are working off of the same 1000 gallon tank of dark robust. worked perfect before now not so much. ive tried 250-260 degrees , everything in between. one batch is fine the next is gumballs. we try to watch the humidity and adjust temp but its so spiratic. we use a steam kettle , then a big hobart mixer. thinking about a cdl sugar machine. anyone have/use one? or other suggestions
    I have a CDL double machine but previously used a small mixer so I really can't speak about going from a Hobart to one. I really like it but there are some idiosyncrasies like cleaning that I working through. I love throwing in the syrup and having it do it's thing. Emptying can be slightly tricky but he drums just rotate and dump into a bin that I can then let cool. I find that I need to give it a good cleaning at the end of a day with multiple batches or after a couple of days of single batches but that goes without saying.
    About 300 taps
    2'x6' air tight arch
    Semi complete 12'x24' sugarhouse in Somers, CT
    My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/CapturedNature
    My eBook: Making Maple Syrup in your Backyard

after more research and conversations we come to realize ac and dehumidifying is a must. we did try 267 and still didnt work normally we go to 250 but we were seasonally making it. now demand has us doing it year round, so looks like changes are in order.N E Ohio is horrible for humidity. thanks guys
    Fred Ahrens
    330-206-1606
    Richards Ohio Maple Equipment
    Ohio CDL sales rep
    LaPierre Dealer
    H&M maple fabricator Dealer
    Service Tech/repair for all brands and electronics

don't take life too serious, nobody gets out alive anyways!

A dehumidifier in the room helps alot...or wait until there is a low humidity day.....i have used a food processor to grind the balls that do not sugar
    Salisbury Sugarworks,,Parker Rowe, and friends
    Salisbury, N.H.
    1988 taps in 09
    over 2500 on vac in 2010
    no buckets in 2010
    2815 taps in 2011
    shooting for 3000 in 2012
    4000 taps? In 2014
    5x16 wood fired "Mighty Marvin"
    50 cords in the shed
    Old, old R.O.
    Charter member Andover/Salisbury Mapleholics
    http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/4...s009bx4.th.jpg

I put all the sugar into a blender to break it up to a consistent size. I burnt out a few of the standard mixers before I spent a few extra bucks and got the Ninja Chefs model...1500W baby. You really need the higher wattage to break the clumps up. I used to use a food processor, but the blender works better because it funnels everything into the blades...just what I found.
    Josh

2009 - 370 on vac. & 16 buckets
    2010 - 377 on vac.
    2011 - 590 on vac.
    2012 - 620 on high vac., 170 buckets, 110 on gravity tubing
    2013 - 830 mine + 800-1000 others
    2014 - 870 mine + 800-1000 others
    2017 - 920 mine + 500-700 others
    2018 - 902 mine + 500-700 others
    2019 - 902 mine + 700 others
    2020 - 902 mine + ???? others
    Atlas Copco Pump
    2.5'x8' 802maple Special with Dallaire pans
    H2O Innovation 600gph RO
    Spring Harvest Website

This is my first time looking into sugar making. I am hoping to learn from your mistakes so I can try to avoid them myself. As for the clumps I would think a mill for grain or coffee would work great and there adjustable for grind size.

I've had the same problems and used some of the same fixes. For me, sugar just hasn't become automatic or consistent like I can with candy or cream. One thing I do notice that hasn't come up yet, is my second batch is always wetter than my first.

I wonder, did the first batch raise the humidity in the room that much? Is it related to using the same cook pot with residual cooked syrup; or is it residual sugar in the mixing bowl?

I've cleaned everything between batches - which stinks. Sometimes, I put the wet batch on a sheet in the oven at 180 (I'll have to check my notes) for a few minutes to dry it out. It always works out, but it's never quite the same each time.
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

I do small batches, no more than 1 gal at a time.

I almost always go to above 260, most often 265.

I stir by hand and try to get it down to a fine crumb with a few nuggets here and there. While I am boiling the syrup I will turn on the oven to 180 degrees.

So once I have the sugar broken down to this "course" stage I will pour it out onto a cookie sheet and place it in the oven. I will leave the oven on for maybe another 1/2 hour then I will turn it off and just let the sugar sit in there till the oven cools off. This will take a few hours.
    Then I will come back and take this course sugar and put it thru a food mill to get a even "grind".

This is what I have found to work for me with the size of batches that I do, now if I was doing larger this could turn into a real pain.
    1st Generation Hobby Maple Producer, you got to start somewhere.
    222 Taps, all on Vacuum! No more buckets.
    Lapierre 2'x5' raised flue w/Hood and Preheater
    Surge SP11, Lapierre Hobby Releaser
    Modified 5" Filter Press made by Daryl with a Gear Pump
    Homemade 2 membrane RO
    Kabota RTV Sap Hauler

Hardy's Maple Syrup on Facebook

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast