+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: granulated sugar

Quote Originally Posted by Woody77 View Post
    ok that being said. so I don't keep make mistakes. I've only made two batches in my life both were the same result. Not great.
    I use a kitchen aid pro series 8 qt.
    I went to 265° .
    What speed should I go. first time I was on low second I was on 3. Same result. Not sure if its important.
    It got to the graniey peanut butter stage again but mixed for a good10-15 minutes with no more change .
    So on the cookie sheet it went and in the oven for 10 minutes at 200° back in the bowl then I had the nicest maple brown sugar you ever saw bit it wouldn't dry so 5 more minutes in the oven .then back in the bowl and tadaa sugar.
    Do I need to go to 270°.
    Lastly will that soft brown sugar keep without turning into a brick. Or needing refrigerated.
    I use the paddle on the lowest setting on the Kitchen Aid right up to the point of transitioning to sugar and bogging down, then swap it out quick for the dough kneader. Then I can let it go until it is where I want it without stressing the motor. I also use a very thin spatula to scrape down the sides while the paddle is running.
    Noel Good
    1998 to 2009: 15 taps on buckets, scavenged fire pit and pans
    2010: New 2x4 SS flat pan w/preheater
    2015: New to me Lapierre 18x60 raised flue, new shack, new everything!! 59 taps 23.75 gallons
    2016: 85 taps 19 gallons
    2017: Purchased 2.5 acres and tubed half with 3/16. 145 taps total 49.25 gallons
    2018: 200 taps (162 on 3/16ths 38 on buckets) New NextGen RO 63 gallons
    2019: 210 taps 73.5 gallons
    2023: 210 taps 89.75 gallons
    www.wnybass.com

Quote Originally Posted by S.S.S View Post
    Sunday we made 32 pounds of sugar and got a solo cup hard pieces. If your getting that many hard pieces that means your not getting your syrup mixed up very well and the syrup just stays in a clump in spots instead of getting mixed up.
    I was guessing the mixing part is what was causing it. I need to look at how the paddles are setup and see if I can improve upon that. Thanks for the info!
    About 300 taps
    2'x6' air tight arch
    Semi complete 12'x24' sugarhouse in Somers, CT
    My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/CapturedNature
    My eBook: Making Maple Syrup in your Backyard

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    I was guessing the mixing part is what was causing it. I need to look at how the paddles are setup and see if I can improve upon that. Thanks for the info!
    Hi,Dave what mixer are you using and what attachment? wisk or paddle?

Quote Originally Posted by S.S.S View Post
    Hi,Dave what mixer are you using and what attachment? wisk or paddle?
    I have a CDL maple sugar machine. It has paddles that spin horizontally. I suspect that it's what's causing the rocks to form because it's not fully mixing the sugar before it granulates. I'd like to sell the machine and switch to a couple cream machines that spin like a traditional mixer with paddles. I think the open form would work better.
    About 300 taps
    2'x6' air tight arch
    Semi complete 12'x24' sugarhouse in Somers, CT
    My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/CapturedNature
    My eBook: Making Maple Syrup in your Backyard

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234