+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best cfm fan AUF (OTE)

Default Best cfm fan AUF (OTE)

Would like to know a good cfm for my oil tank evaporator?

My feeder tube is 2" EMT cap welded on end inside fire box and stopped it 8" before door and has 12- 3/8" holes per sq.foot of my firebox( drilled one row TDC, others are at 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock)
    Looking for experience specific to OTE because that's what I have built for this year...

You can use just about any cfm fan as long as you have something to regulate the flow. Simplest would be either 2inch ball valve or blast gate in between your fan and OTE.
    Camp Wokanda
    Peoria Park District

2023 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, sap storage shack w/ 1100 gallon tank - 123 gallons
    2022 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, homemade vac filter & water jacket canner - 104 gallons
    2021 - 215 on 3/16 shurflo, added 2nd membrane to RO - 78 gallons
    2020 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, upgraded hp pump on RO - 66 gallons
    2019 - 150 on 3/16 shurflo, Deer Run 125 dolly RO - 73 gallons
    2018 - 120 on 3/16 shurflo, 2x6 raised flue w/hood, homemade arch w/ AUF & AOF - 34.5 gallons

You will be restricted on CFM's by the 2 inch pipe so you will not get the rated CFM of a low pressure blower if it is rated higher than what can go through your pipe. I am not sure what the CFM is that you can get through the 2 inch pipe but any blower higher than that will not add any more air. It may be enough to max out your rig but will help a lot even if it isn't maxed out.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 dropflu pans and hoods on homemade arch
    Smoky Lake 6 gallon water jacked bottler
    Concentric Exhaust
    250 Deer Run RO
    325 taps

I agree with Sapper. Connect your blower with a tube that has at least as much cross sectional area as the blower outlet. Any low pressure blower will help, but shoot for over 200CFM to up to 300 and adjust it by blocking the blower inlet (my preference) or outlet with a blast gate. No need for the holes in the tube. Just blow into the area under the grate, which should be enclosed, and let the air flow up through the fire.
    John
    2x8 Smokylake drop flue with AOF/ AUF
    180 taps on sacks
    75 on 3/16 tubing with shurflo
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota

Ok, holes are already drilled in it so we'll give it a shot this year and see how it performs...

Haynes Forest Products Guest

Some blowers have high CFM ratings BUT don't have the pressure to get the flow thru the smaller restrictive piping. A box fan can move a lot of air but restrict it into a 3" pipe and your screwed.

The cfm has been covered. I had a diy setup, like you describe, on my half-pint (the tube with holes, under the grates). I ended up doing what was recommended by Riley, dumping the air just inside the firebox, under the grates. Worked way better than the tube full of holes. I also prefer the "damper" on the inlet of the fan, but the blast gate will work equally as well. It won't take long to get into a firing routine that works well and know where the air regulation needs to be.

Just a helpful tip here if you haven't found a blower for your setup yet: The exact same 2" blower they sell on some pro sites for $300+ for hobby-sized evaporators (Half Pint, etc) is only about $65 on Amazon ("Dayton 1TDP3", 70cfm). I found there are also very similar priced/sized units on there that range from 40 to 150cfm. Amazon also has speed controls for some blowers for under $20 too.
    -Scott
    2017: Found a new addiction/hobby!: 6 taps, Coleman stove/turkey fryer, graduated to barrel arch, 1.75 gal
    2018: Increased efficiency - 22 taps on 3/16 gravity vac, 10 buckets, homemade extended barrel arch w/ firebrick, warming pan, 20X30 baffled pan, small home-built RO, 11.5 gal
    2019: Same as above now with AUF, home-built float pan, gas sap pump, fewer fire brick but more insulation, maybe a few more taps if the wife lets me. ;-)

The tube with holes will only work well if connected to a high pressure blower. Unless you can find an old oil burner pump (those have a HP blower) I suggest you just remove the 2" tube and blow in under the grates, block off the front 6" to push the air farther back from the fill door. If however you find a HP blower it will work well. The price of a HP blower will be out of practical reach on this size evaporator unless you can find an old oil burner blower free or real cheap.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I used a "bounce house" blower for the AOF/AUF blower for my 2x6. Idk if you want that much air for AUF in an OTE, as it will effectively blow a lot of wood out the chimney. I purchased my blower from ebay for less than $50.
    The Evolution
    2015 - 2x4 flat pan on block arch, 2016 added dividers for continuous flow
    2017 - 2x6 Sunrise Pan (4' Flue, 2' Syrup) on homemade arch with AUF, 2018 added AOF
    2019 - Sunrise water jacketed bottler

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast