+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Coffee urn

You don't want to use the urn to heat the syrup from cold or room temperature or you are likely to overheat whats in contact with the element and get some niter. We usually go from the finisher through the filter press and into the urn to bottle when we are working in-season. Occasionally, we may have to turn the urn on for a minute or two to keep above 180 but haven't had any niter issues doing that. Urns work good as a bottler but not to heat with. Find another way to heat from cold or room temperature. When we bottle from our 5 gallon jugs in the off-season, we use the finisher which has a valve right on it and bottle directly from that and don't bother with the urn.

My plan would be to draw syrup off the evaporator, finish on my gas turkey cooker, pour right into my filtering setup and then pour into the Urn still hot. I guess my intent would be to heat from 150 (or whatever its at after filtering) back up to 185-190 in the urn to bottle. I wouldnt attempt to heat from ambient up to bottling temp.

I only bottle up in batches of about a gallon, I'm sure everyone does it somewhat differently but here's how I do it.

1. Set up filter cones (felt and 2-3 prefilter cones, preferrably dry) onto a rack. I use the cone filter optimizer rack.

2. Put a quart or two of water into the urn, put rack over top of urn, and plug it in until it starts to boil. The steam moistens the filters, and boiling the water gets the urn up to temperature so syrup doesn't cool when it is dumped in. Make sure it is hot just as the syrup is ready.

3. Bring syrup up to temperature and proper density in a stainless steel pot.

4. When syrup is ready, remove from heat, dump out the hot water from urn, set the rack on top, pour finished syrup in. I set the urn in the sink for this. Splashes happen.

5. Bottle syrup immediately. It will be about 190F. If prefilter plugs, pull out the top one and dump into second one. I don't often need to do this when using the optimizer rack, it usually runs through quite well.

6. If bottling in glass, I set the glass on the woodstove before bottling.

Dave
    Mountain Maple farm
    2022 NAMSC award winning dark amber syrup
    2023: 320 taps, 70% red maples. Mountain Maple S4 diaphragm pump controller with automated sap transfer and text messaging
    https://www.mountainmaplefarm.com
    https://www.facebook.com/MountainMapleFarm/

You should be OK with that approach Danny as long as the filtering goes good and the syrup doesn't cool too much. We also hang our urn over the evaporator to heat it up some before bottling. Biz's idea works too. If you don't do something you will again lose more heat when it hits the urn, another 10-20 degrees.

Sounds perfect Biz for my level too.
    I'm probably ordering an optimizer soon. Round one works well on the coffee urn?
    12 taps for 2009.
    30+ for 2010.
    30+ for 2011.
    2012- Still holding around 30+ with no help in sight.
    2013-Still a loner but what a Fantastic yielding year
    2014- Forever a loner
    2017-Still here, after trying to kick the habit.
    Down to 15-20 taps with the intent to save my marriage.

Sap Haulers- Kids NADA, I tried but I'm on my own.
    Buckets and Sap Saks, 4 steam pans, Block Evaporator, and single burner propane for finishing.

http://s778.photobucket.com/home/Valleyman_bucket

I also do exactly like Biz. I'm usually finishing 5-6 gallons at a time. I may end up using 5-6 prefilters. IMG_5675 (1).jpg.
    1960 - 1970s 70 taps on galvanized buckets with Dad and Grandpa.
    1970s - 1985 Acted crazy!
    1986 - 2005 20-30 buckets.
    2006- 2017 70 buckets and bags
    2017-2019 100 bags and buckets
    2020 Finally retired!!! 75 buckets, 50-75 on tubing. RO Bucket, New 12 X 16 Shack and a 42X42 flat pan.
    2021-Adding another 125 taps along with a second RO bucket.
    2022- Shooting for 350 taps, with 100 on lines.
    Lots of Family and Friends and dogs named Skyy and Nessy!

I use the same process as Biz also. I usually filter all mine at the end of the season in one effort.

Anywhere from 15-20 gallons. I have 2 felt filters set up with a dozen pre filters in each.

This will be the first time using the optimizer rack. Can't wait to see how it works.
    100-110 buckets
    Leader 7.5" 3 Bank filter press (2023)
    RO Bucket RB10 (2017) upgraded to RB20 (2020)
    Homemade oil tank arch
    Homemade stainless pans
    12x16 Sugar Shack (new 2020)

I use the same setup. The only problem I have is I use a synthetic cone filter and several paper filters and the synthetic filter always slows me down.
    Last edited by red/one; 02-26-2019 at 02:23 PM.
    2014 6 Taps Block Arch and momas canning pot, 3 gallons YIKES

2019 100 taps and a new adventure with a home built arch.

2020 90 taps, my wife and I and a Bucket RO...

2021 112 taps and a modified Bucket RO.

2022 120 taps, modified Bucket RO a Wife, Son and Springer

Tried the Coffee urn bottler yesterday.... Got the Urn on its "keep warm" cycle with water, and quickly replaced it with hot syrup. Preheated pots of cold syrup (which had been filtered off the evaporator) on the stove to about 200 and dumped through cone filters into a pail, which I poured into the urn... but the filtering process seemed to drop the temperature too much and the urn had trouble bringing it back up.
    --So I changed it up.... Similar to the previous posts, except I hung the filters right inside the urn. Seems a little unorthodox that my filters were sitting there actually submerged in the hot syrup, but it seemed to work great.. I could pour the hot syrup from the stove directly into the urn/filter and put the lid on, without the cooling effect of pouring from a filter.. It just worked its way through the hot filter as needed, while I filled jars.
    Urn.jpg

I disconnected the main heating element on my urn and just use the keep warm element. I set my cone filter on the coffee basket to hold it in place. I added a brewers thermometer to keep track of temp.
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123