+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New 2x6 Evaporator arrived

Default New 2x6 Evaporator arrived

Received my new Smoky Lake 2x6 drop flu on a corsair arch this summer. I got it with the same side reverse, blower, site glass, stainless sides and stack and auto draw. I had the pan modified so the float box and draw were both on the left side because of my sugar house layout. right now it is sitting in my basement covered up as I finish the new sugar house. I am very anxious to get it finished and moved in and for the season to start so I can put it to work. When I was in the process of purchasing I found it very difficult to compare equipment so I thought I would help others with a complete review on this unit. Once the season is underway I will post pictures of the evaporator in operation and provide actual field data on evaporation rate, how well the equipment works, how well the fire box works, what I like and if there is anything I did not like.

Ordering: Smoky Lake web site was very user friendly and easy to use when placing the order for my evaporator.
    Phone support and Customer Support: Every time a called with a question prior to my order or to check on status the phone was always answered by a real person that was polite, professional and very helpful. One of the shop crew called to verify details on my pan build prior to finishing and was a great to work with. This is something that is very important to me and sadly not the case with many companies.
    Delivery: I received an email, and two phone calls informing me the evaporator was being loaded and updating my on the progress in route. My evaporator was shipped via truck to my farm and arrived on time as promised. The driver was professional and very accommodating meeting me early in the morning since I had to fly out of town for work the day he made it to CT. I was unloaded and he was on his way in less than an hour. The equipment was packed well, very protected and did not even have a scratch after being transported half way across the country.
    Fit and Finish. I am very impressed with the quality of the evaporator and components. Every thing fit together perfectly and all parts and pieces were present. The bricking and assembly instructions were clear and well put together.
    Price: After a great deal of looking at equipment and talking to the various manufactures and visiting most of the big names factories and shops in VT I would say that dollar for dollar I believe that Smoky Lake provides an excellent product at a very competitive price. Over all I think an apples to apples pricing comparison they have some of the best prices and value in the industry right now.

Overall Opinion. I feel the quality of the equipment and manufacturing is on par or superior to everything I looked at. They offered several features I wanted on a rig at a lower cost than most. The customer support has been amazing and I have received follow up emails from both Jim and Angela making sure everything was good to go.

One piece of advice for those new to maple syrup reading this review and that are starting to purchase equipment as they grow. Visit local sugar makers and companies during the season and see what is out there. Once you decide place your order in the spring to make sure you get what you want in time for the next season. Don't expect to get what you want three weeks before the season starts, even the biggest names out there can't produce the equipment that fast. If anyone has any questions please let me know.

Mat
    700 taps, Smoky Lake 2x6 drop flu, 2 post RO. 16x20 Sugar House

I am certain you are excited about the upcoming season. Sounds like you have a very nice unit. It is definitely nice to get it now so you can get it setup before winter sets in. Best of luck.
    Gary
    16' X 24' Sugarhouse
    2' X 6' Leader Inferno Arch with Revolution Raised-Flue Pans, Smoky Lake preheater and hood
    Deer Run Maple gas-powered 250 RO
    WesFab 7" filter press
    Kubota 1100 RTV with tracks and 125 gallon tank for transporting sap
    800 taps on gravity and vacuum
    Very supportive wife who is the best coworker
    http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...ing-Sugarhouse

+ Reply to Thread