+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone identify maker of tank

Default Can anyone identify maker of tank

I have a chance to purchase a 250 milk tank but there is no valve. I wanted to get an idea of the availability and the price of a valve before I go any further. But first I will need the tank identified. I thought it was a Dari Kool.

milk.jpgmilk.jpgmik2.jpg
    Last edited by Maple River Sugar; 09-12-2018 at 08:25 AM.
    2022 - 157 taps, 40 gallons of syrup
    2021 - 171 taps buckets and tubing, 41 gallons of syrup
    2020 - 225 taps bags and tubing, 45 gallons of syrup
    2019 - 180 taps buckets and bags, 50 gallons of syrup
    Lapierre 2x8 Vision with reverse flow, hood & preheater
    Leader Micro2 RO
    Lapierre 10" short bank press

I own a Mueller that looks like that. For a valve, I get mine from https://www.brewershardware.com/Sanitary-Fittings/
    I identify the threads and get an adapter to convert to Tri Clover type. Then you can get a good 1.5" SS valve for $47.00 and convert from there to any fitting or pipe you want. They seem to have the best prices I've found and stock all of the sizes.
    Trying to go with a milk trank valve will run you 2-4x that, maybe more.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Threads for the valve are a fairly standard milk sanitary thread. Any place that sells parts for milk equipment should have it. Just need to know the diameter of the pipe.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    I own a Mueller that looks like that. For a valve, I get mine from https://www.brewershardware.com/Sanitary-Fittings/
    I identify the threads and get an adapter to convert to Tri Clover type. Then you can get a good 1.5" SS valve for $47.00 and convert from there to any fitting or pipe you want. They seem to have the best prices I've found and stock all of the sizes.
    Trying to go with a milk trank valve will run you 2-4x that, maybe more.
    Maple Flats, where would I go to find an adapter? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    2022 - 157 taps, 40 gallons of syrup
    2021 - 171 taps buckets and tubing, 41 gallons of syrup
    2020 - 225 taps bags and tubing, 45 gallons of syrup
    2019 - 180 taps buckets and bags, 50 gallons of syrup
    Lapierre 2x8 Vision with reverse flow, hood & preheater
    Leader Micro2 RO
    Lapierre 10" short bank press

Hamby Dairy or I think even Brewer's Hrdware might have them. Give them a call. If not, try Hamby Dairy.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

The fitting appears to be an acme fitting (about 2" at a guess, compared to the beer can in the photo). The nut should be available on line or at any milking equipment store.
    I like to go directly to a more user friendly system like tri-clamp.https://www.gvc.net/p/971/tri-clamp-...hread-adapters. Then you can do about whatever you need to do.
    Last edited by minehart gap; 09-14-2018 at 08:39 AM.
    Matt,
    Minehart Gap Maple

Haynes Forest Products Guest

Looks like they cut the outer skin off the tank.

At a tank size of about 250 gal I'd think the valve will be a 1.5". I have 6 tanks that are milk type tanks, up to 1000 gal , with the smallest being 200 gal and all are 1.5" valves. I think as the size of the tank gets towards 800 or 1000 gal some may be 1.5" and others 2", as they get even bigger the valves get larger. I have 2 Surge tanks, one a vacuum tank, one not vacuum, they both have 1.5" valves. I have seen others in the 1000 gal range with 2" valves, but never one that is just 250 gal.
    I think the larger tanks get a bigger size so the larger volume of milk can be pumped out faster.
    While the outside measurement on the threads will not measure 1.5" it very likely will measure less than 2" diameter. Once you get the adapter and a nut to attach it, then convert to Tri Clover type you can use anybodies valve. All 1.5" tri Clover are interchangeable. Be sure to order a seal for each joint and I like to get a few spares. With Tri Clover you will find many size combinations from small flange to 1.5" and large to 1.5", just be sure to stay all the same. That way all will use the same size seal (gasket) and clamp.

At a tank size of about 250 gal I'd think the valve will be a 1.5". I have 6 tanks that are milk type tanks, up to 1000 gal , with the smallest being 200 gal and all are 1.5" valves. I think as the size of the tank gets towards 800 or 1000 gal some may be 1.5" and others 2", as they get even bigger the valves get larger. I have 2 Surge tanks, one a vacuum tank, one not vacuum, they both have 1.5" valves. I have seen others in the 1000 gal range with 2" valves, but never one that is just 250 gal.
    I think the larger tanks get a bigger size so the larger volume of milk can be pumped out faster.
    While the outside measurement on the threads will not measure 1.5" it very likely will measure less than 2" diameter. Once you get the adapter and a nut to attach it, then convert to Tri Clover type you can use anybodies valve. All 1.5" tri Clover are interchangeable. Be sure to order a seal for each joint and I like to get a few spares. With Tri Clover you will find many size combinations from small flange to 1.5" and large to 1.5", just be sure to stay all the same. That way all will use the same size seal (gasket) and clamp.

Fernco coupling < $10
    3,100 taps
    60 cfm flood
    HC2
    5 by 14 oil

Brian

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast