+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oil tank evaporator

Default Oil tank evaporator

Building a oil tank evaporator this year. I was wondering what people use for insulation? I’m planning on using a ceramic blanket and fire brick. I do line the fire box with both the ceramic blanket & fire brick? Thanks open to all tips & tricks

It's most efficient with both.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

You can look at thread I started ( rectangular flue stack question)or many others on here about OTE's for some different ideas or options people have built.

Haynes Forest Products Guest

I would ask you if having the most insulation is what you need. Will the evap be in a small air tight building? Will you want some heat in the room for comfort during boils? I would do brick on everything and call it good because of the size.

Haynes is right, while both is most efficient, my 3x8 only has the brick and it remains rather cool in the sugarhouse in cooler weather. Most times if the outside temp is in the 20's or 30's I need to wear alight weight jacket and my wife if she is there wears a coat while boiling. My sugarhouse is only insulated in the RO closet. I don't remove the jacket until outside temps go over the mid 40's.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread